I-line breaker tripped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

Had a fuse in a I-LINE busway blow. This was a old RK-5 fuse . When it blew it physically open and caused a phase to phase short on the line side of the bus switch almost causing the switch to blow of the bus . ( sounded like a hand grenade ) The 400 amp I-line breaker saw this and tripped as designed . We replaced the bus switch ,meggered everything and re-energized the bus . My question is how do we decide if we need to replace the 400 amp breaker . I understand they are designed to only handle so many faults like this ....

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
They have to clear a fault and be capable of being reset at least once, but it's always a good idea to at least have them tested after an event like that. The energy it takes to rupture a fuse rated for 200kAIC is at the very least, "significant" with respect to the breaker feeding it!

mxslick

Why take a chance of this happening?

Why take a chance of this happening?

Take a look here at THIS THREAD (see post#8) and I think you'll agree that replacement of the breaker would be the wise choice, especially after the magnitude of your event. (Thanks to member Brian John for the picture.)

CircuitBreakers.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.