I need a DC speed controller supplied with AC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khixxx

Hey guys, My uncle just purchased this milling machine. Here is the deal the machine is old as dirt, it operates using 120vAC A rectifier is used and a rheostat to adjust the voltage to a DC motor. Do you guys know of a controller (cheap) that I could use to replace the old controller? I am talking from 120vAC to an adjustable voltage of 0-115vDC ability to handle 2amps.

rattus

khixxx said:
Hey guys, My uncle just purchased this milling machine. Here is the deal the machine is old as dirt, it operates using 120vAC A rectifier is used and a rheostat to adjust the voltage to a DC motor. Do you guys know of a controller (cheap) that I could use to replace the old controller? I am talking from 120vAC to an adjustable voltage of 0-115vDC ability to handle 2amps.

2 Amps doesn't sound like enough current to run a milling machine of any size. I would guess that the rheostat controls the field current in the DC motor, or maybe it controls some other small motor on the machine.

khixxx

I don't know much about machining. Maybe this machine is not a milling machine but it does have a 2a motor that moves a part that allows a grinder to shave off metal. Everything in the controller box is damaged. This thing was built in 1936. looks like a resistor melted the wires. I thought it would be easier and cheaper to just buy a new box. I never bought one before might be worth making the repairs.

HighWirey

"Everything in the controller box is damaged"

The plot thickens . . . there is more than just a rheostat and rectifier in the ole controller.

You need to define your requirements before you go out and 'buy a controller', or even seek advice here. We can hypothesize here till our hypothesizer gets sore . . .

Don't need a pile of wrong controllers sitting in your uncle's shop . . .

Best Wishes

hillbilly

Most small package DC motor controllers have a input voltage of 120V AC and a output voltage of 0-90 VDC (or 0-180 VDC with 240/1 input).

They are pretty cheap....you can get one that will deliver 5 amps @ 90VDC for less than $100.
Go to www.www.grainger.com and look at the dc motor controllers.

The only problem that you might have is the new (small) DC motor controllers are designed to operate permanent magnet motors....this means that they don't have a (built) in field voltage supply.

If your existing motor has a wound field, you may have to make a field voltage supply.
This is pretty simple..if you know how.

How many wires go to the motor?
Is there a tag on the motor?

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.