I need tips on wiring a styrofoam house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone give me tips on wiring a foam house I have a hotknife to cut in raceways. Plus how much longer to wire than your standard wood frame house. I will be in charge of this job and need some tips thanks in advance for your help.

mivey

If you are talking about icf, try googling "icf house wiring".

I saw an episode on tv using this type construction (maybe Villa's "home again", I don't remember), but I don't recall the wiring install time discussion. They made it look simple, of course.

jayrad1122

construction4.jpg

quick google search... I don't know what a styrofoam house looks like but this might be it:confused:

-Jared

edit: http://www.plastilockcorp.com/icf_electrical_box_homeowners.asp

C3PO

I have worked on houses with strofoam forms and poured exterior walls. The drywall is screwed directly to the styrofoam. All of the receptacles and wiring on the exterior walls has to be cut into the foam. is this what you are talking about?

220/221

I made them frame all the exterior walls out 2x4.

The poured concrete centers of the styrofoam blocks are rounded and it is difficult to attach boxes straight and secure.

The toxic gases from cutting challels into the styrofoam will kill your lungs and you will have trouble maintaining your 1 1/4 inch depth and will have trouble stapling the cable.

Hanging the gear is tricky also because of the configuration of the concrete centers.

I HAD to attach the exterior boxes and I struggled with every one.

Good luck.;)

480sparky

220/221 said:
The poured concrete centers of the styrofoam blocks are rounded and it is difficult to attach boxes straight and secure.

I just use a PAT to anchor a 4x4 box to the 'crete.

220/221 said:
The toxic gases from cutting challels into the styrofoam will kill your lungs and you will have trouble maintaining your 1 1/4 inch depth and will have trouble stapling the cable.

Try an electric chain saw. Run the blade right down to the 'crete. More than deep enough, and narrow enough to hold your NMs. Phone wire is a little trickier.

220/221 said:
Hanging the gear is tricky also because of the configuration of the concrete centers.

Install a plywood backer first.

blue spark

I just hot-knife my channels into the foam. I also have a jig for 4 squares. I sleeve everything in emt. I use handy-foam to secure the boxes and pipe. After I have everything in place, I foam it in and screw a wood strip across the box to hold it in til the foam sets. When it's dry. it's rock solid. (never coming out) Labor wise, yup lots of labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.