I talk to the student adviser but she has no idea what I was talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

nafis

Hi there
i am thinking of taking some class but having hard to select most beneficial class for electrical contactor . I am trying to learn as much as I can but EC courses comes 1st. here is the class name and descriptions .BTW my goal is to be able to estimate and mange the job . Any recommendation greatly appreciated .

Course Name: Mechanical Electrical & Plumbing Systems in Construction

This course provides for a continuing study of the nature and use of the construction method, materials, and equipment associated with electrical and mechanical systems used in the construction on modern buildings. Using the Construction Specifications Institute 'MasterFormat' as a guide, this course will cover Divisions 15 and 16. Topics include: Mechanical Materials, Methods, and Systems; Fire Protection; Plumbing Methods, Materials, and Systems; Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning, Controls, Electrical Materials and Methods; Power Generation Systems; Power Distribution; Lighting; Communications; Controls; and Testing.

Course Name: Construction Specifications & Contracts

This course presents and discusses legal principles and issues affecting the construction industry. Topics include: Contract Documents, Changes, Orders and Claims. Contract law and relationships will be specifically covered. Individuals will benefit from this course if they work with or for owners, architects, engineers, building officials or subcontractors.

Course Name: Construction Estimating I
This course affords a basic introduction to construction estimating, focusing on the major building components and common contract documents. Students will utilize information from the CSI Master Format in addition to instructor-provided handouts. The course provides the student with the principles and skills to make accurate take-offs and perform pricing functions as an estimator in a commercial contracting environment.

nakulak

I would try to talk to one of the instructors that is actually giving the course. Perhaps he/she could be helpful to you in trying to determine where your greatest weakness is, so that you can take that portion first. However, based on the information provided, it is crucial that you have a good handle on everything in that list. When I say crucial, I am speaking in terms of the potential cost to you in dollars for you to not have a good grasp of those things prior to attempting to engage in the business portion. The school of hard knocks is a very good teacher, but it can be expensive (hence the benefit of potentially learning from others and bypassing the expense).

(by the way, for what its worth, plop yourself in the front seat now and then. jmsho)

e57

#2 and 3

I once had a boss that would mutter to himself on occassion. "Contracting is about Contracts" - The full thought being that is not about the work you do - it is about the work you sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.