IAEI

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I note that the IAEI is now rebranded as the Independent Alliance of the Electrical Industry. Clever to use same initials. I have been to many of their section meetings, always a good value for education. The
magazine has great articles as well. Maybe the membership has dropped off and IAEI didn’t connect well with newer electricians.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
Our local chapter meetings are very informative, one member sits on the electrical contractors board, two others sit on the state panel that adopts the NEC. So you're getting information right from the source. We've had speakers from UL, NEMA inadditon to many manufacturers speaking about various product offerings.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
They did work with the NFPA for code update material, but not sure if that is still going on
It is my understanding the former cooperation between the NFPA and the IAEI no longer exists. The NFPA sold the Mike Holt 2023 code changes book on their website this code cycle, and in the past, I am pretty sure they sold the IAEI changes books.

It was pretty bitter between those two organizations when the IAEI was looking for help. However, what the NFPA wanted, would have, for all practical purposes, ended the IAEI.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
The NFPA sold the Mike Holt 2023 code changes book on their website this code cycle, and in the past, I am pretty sure they sold the IAEI changes books.
I guess that would have something to do with their partnership with ICC.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Our local chapter meetings are very informative, one member sits on the electrical contractors board, two others sit on the state panel that adopts the NEC. So you're getting information right from the source. We've had speakers from UL, NEMA inadditon to many manufacturers speaking about various product offerings.
Yes the meetings here had UL, NEMA and CMP members, all very informative

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I've gone to one with my dad when I was a kid. It was interesting but the old ways of conferences don't attract the younger guys for sure. We're more used to online communities but those tend to be way less formal. There's also the decrease in those who want to excel in a field and are ok with just coasting through and a trade organization needs those who want to excel

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
I've gone to one with my dad when I was a kid. It was interesting but the old ways of conferences don't attract the younger guys for sure. We're more used to online communities but those tend to be way less formal. There's also the decrease in those who want to excel in a field and are ok with just coasting through and a trade organization needs those who want to excel
I brought my son to a meeting, he was interested, but I don't know if he'll go again. I think the lack of people in his age group was a turn off. It's sad, as there's great value in this organization, sadly if you look around the room I'd say the average age is 60.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was a member back when they had a great monthly magazine. I didn't attend meetings and just paid for a membership to receive the magazine. As time went by the quality and content of the magazine diminished and the membership cost kept rising. It got to a point where they had priced themselves out of existence so I can see why their membership numbers dwindled to almost nothing.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I brought my son to a meeting, he was interested, but I don't know if he'll go again. I think the lack of people in his age group was a turn off. It's sad, as there's great value in this organization, sadly if you look around the room I'd say the average age is 60.
Sadly that age increase is also indicative of the trade in general. Average age of persons working in the trade I've heard is now into their high 40's or 50's in some areas.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Same story here. I was a charter member of our local IAEI back in the 70s and the meetings were well attended with informative speakers from UL and manufacturers. About a year ago the meetings were disbanded due to lack of leadership, attendance and the increased costs.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Yes the membership costs are high. In the 90s IAEI was a good go to for classes, but now it’s easier to go on line and less expensive. I found the meetings were very good with excellent presenters.