IBC - Elevator Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

In a high rise, you need to size your Life Safety generator to run one elevator from each bank of elevators. I've got a situation where I've got 4 elevators in a 2 by 2 arrangement and such that 2 open to the north and 2 open to the south. There are doors separating the 1 pair from the other.

Would this be considered two banks or just one bank?

thanks,

mike

fc

I would think it would be considered 2 banks. I would contact the fire inspector and ask because what we think and what he thinks might be totally deference. Being that you have two cars facing north and 2 cars facing south I would think he would want to have one car from each side on EM power.
Also are you sure they don't want all the elevators on standby?
Here is a copy of IBC on it.
[F] SECTION 3003
EMERGENCY OPERATIONS
3003.1 Standby power. In buildings and structures where standby power is required or furnished to operate an elevator, the operation shall be in accordance with Sections 3003.1.1 through 3003.1.4.
3003.1.1 Manual transfer Standby power shall be manually transferable to all elevators in each bank.
3003.1.2 One elevator. Where only one elevator is installed, the elevator shall automatically transfer to standby power within 60 seconds after failure of normal power.
3003.1.3 Two or more elevators. Where two or more elevators are controlled by a common operating system, all elevators shall automatically transfer to standby power within 60 seconds after failure of normal power where the standby power source is of sufficient capacity to operate all elevators at the same time. Where the standby power source is not of sufficient capacity to operate all elevators at the same time,
all elevators shall transfer to standby power in sequence, return to the designated landing and disconnect from the standby power source. After all elevators have been re -
turned to the designated level, at least one elevator shall remain operable from the standby power source.
3003.1.4 Venting. Where standby power is connected to elevators, the machine room ventilation or air conditioning shall be connected to the standby power source.
3003.2 Fire-fighters’ emergency operation. Elevators shall be provided with Phase I emergency re call operation and Phase II emergency in-car operation in accordance with ASME A17.1.

Last edited:

mshields

Elevator Banks

Elevator Banks

Yeah - I'm sure you're right. At this stage I'll see if it drives me to the next size genset. Hopefully it won't and I'll just include it and be done with it.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.