(IBT) Intersytem Bonding Termination Device Location

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
2020 NEC. If you have a meter on the outside of the dwelling with an EM disconnect (Not Service Equipment) and a panel (service disconnect) on the inside where must the IBT be located? The FiOS ONT which needs to be connected to the IBT is located next to the panel. I say either location inside or outside is compliant. A fellow electrician told me that the inspector says it needs to be outside next to the meter even if the equipment connecting to it is inside. :unsure:

250.94(A) The Intersystem Bonding Termination Device.
An intersystem bonding termination (IBT) for connecting intersystem bonding conductors shall be provided external to enclosures at the service equipment or metering equipment enclosure and at the disconnecting means for any additional buildings or structures. If an IBT is used, it shall comply with the following:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Inspector is wrong.

I mean, I would say all else being equal it's best practice to put it outside because communications utilities are likely to come from outside ... except to date I've never seen a comms utility bond to the IBT. 🙄

But there's no such requirement. Inspector should be satisfied the electrician knows what an IBT is.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Inspector is wrong.

I mean, I would say all else being equal it's best practice to put it outside because communications utilities are likely to come from outside ... except to date I've never seen a comms utility bond to the IBT. 🙄

But there's no such requirement. Inspector should be satisfied the electrician knows what an IBT is.
Yeah I mean the wording is pretty clear that it can go in either location so I don't know what the problem is. Maybe inspectors are just so used to seeing them next to the meter they think that it's required to put them there. If the EM disconnect were the service equipment then it would be required to put it outside.