IC rated recessed fixtures in residential garage fire rated ceiling assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jons

Rumor has it that I am unable to install Halo IC rated recessed fixtures in my garage ceiling (TGI joists supporting living space above) in spite of the fact they will be entombed in Roxul. 5 1/2 inches of Roxul above, 11 inches on each side of new work housing, and ceiling rocked with 5/8 Code X drywall. Roxul is non-combustable, has no smoke penetration, and melts down at 2150 degrees. Fixtures will be fed by branch circuit via Arc Fault breaker. Am I missing something here? Why would this not be allowed. i know about the other products out there, .... one of the products is 3/4 of an inch thick and is rated for 475 degrees. It is a form of sheet material made of the same material as Roxul. I'm seeking comments on my installation (the entombment method I outlined above). Roxul is not UL listed or listed by another similar agency. Pehaps this is the issue leading to my installation being frowned upon?
Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Halo cans are not fire rated but you can put a fire rated pan over them but they are expensive

tenmat-accessories-ff130e-64_1000.jpg

Jons

Halo cans are not fire rated but you can put a fire rated pan over them but they are expensive

tenmat-accessories-ff130e-64_1000.jpg

Yes, saw those but would be a royal PITA to install those now, and yes, they are expensive.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
When is comes to fire rated assemblies I don't see inspectors giving you much leeway. What you have described might be much better than the fried chicken bucket that Dennis mentioned but unless it's be tested and listed I don't see how you're going to get an inspector to agree that your method is equal to or better than the bucket.

Jons

Yes, saw those but would be a royal PITA to install those now, and yes, they are expensive.

It's funny as two electrical inspectors and the building inspector didn't flag this. The framer and drywall guy brought things to my attention in terms of this installation. I had no clue this could even be considered an issue. Where in the code is this addressed? Would like to know where to find the regulation for both NJ and NY states.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
It's funny as two electrical inspectors and the building inspector didn't flag this. The framer and drywall guy brought things to my attention in terms of this installation. I had no clue this could even be considered an issue. Where in the code is this addressed? Would like to know where to find the regulation for both NJ and NY states.

It would be in the building code or local code, NEC doesn't directly address this.

Status
Not open for further replies.