ICC Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzz2005

We install monitored security and fire alarms in residential homes. There is one inspection agency that will not approve the fire alarms because they are not 120 volt, and site the ICC code: Section Provisions 1202, Chapter 12, 1202.5, 1202.15, and 1202.16. Having been the electrical business for 50 years we have never been questioned on this before. NFPA says that we are correct but cannot do anthing because of the ICC issue. If the is anyone on that can shed some light on this it will be appreciated.

Thank you,
buzz

luke warmwater

Re: ICC Code

Ron, that must be it.

I looked in mine, and I do not see how those sections state that they must be 120v.

1202.5 Smoke Detector Circuts.
Smoke detectors required by the International Building Code and installed within dwelling units shall not be connected as the only load on a branch circut. Such detectors shall be supplied by branch circuts having lighting loads consisting of lighting outlets in habitable spaces.

1202.15 Smoke Alarm Power Source.
In new construction, required smoke alarms shall receive their primary power from the building wiring where such wiring is served from a commercial source and shall be equipped with a battery back-up. Smoke alarms shall emit a signal when the batteries are low. Wiring shall be permanent and without a disconnecting switch other than is required for overcurrent protection.

1202.16 Smoke Alarm Interconnection.
Where more than one smoke alarm is required to be installed within an individual dwelling unit or sleeping unit in Group R-2, R-3, or R-4, or within an individual sleeping unit in Group R-1, the smoke alarms shall be interconnected in such a manner that the activation of one alarm will activate all of the alarms in the individual unit. The alarm shall be clearly audible in all bedrooms over background noise levels with all intervening doors closed.

Clearly, you could feed the equipment in the main box with 120v. But there is nothing that says you can't step it down to 12 or 16 or 24 volts to go to the alarms. So the 120v. is the Primary power.
And then you have the big battery as back-up.
I do not see the violation. Do I need new glasses? :confused:

ron

Maybe this is the troublesome sentence.
Such detectors shall be supplied by branch circuits having lighting loads consisting of lighting outlets in habitable spaces.
To be honest, in my own home I installed a control panel that is monitored by central station, and I also had to install line voltage interconnect smoke detectors in each area, so I have two smokes in each location as required. :(

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

I agree with Ron. Also, looks like the whole thing is written to describe line powered smokes.

I've brought up this point before because we too have to install line powered devices even though there are system powered and supervised smokes installed.

-Hal

luke warmwater

I don't agree.

You could take power from the 2nd floor hallway lighting circut, or master bedroom lighting circut and feed the alarm panel. Done.

We do it all of the time. The panel is fed from a 120v. source. Who cares if it is stepped down. And it has battery back-up to boot.

This is my take on it, until convinced otherwise.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Luke, you know that and I know that but what about the inspector who takes everything literally. Like I said the language of those sections seem to address only 120 volt smokes.

-Hal

luke warmwater

Hal, I thought we agreed on the installation. :)

I guess we agree on the inspector also. :( What can you do? Give-in I guess. It's to damned hot to argue about it.

BTW,
how many of us actually change the batteries in our smoke alarms twice a year???
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.