ICC G16 Master Exam

Murphy79

Hello to all, I'm just reaching out to see if anyone knows of any states that accepts the ICC g16 master electrician exam. I'm trying to figure out reciprocity with this exam and recognition I know for a fact that the two states below accept these tests. If anybody knows of any states please add to the list below and we can use this for a reference. Thank you very much!

KANSAS
Missouri

Murphy79

Not familiar with that exam. What are the requirements to take the exam? I took the version that was not authorized, I did not require any authorization. However to get license in my state I did have to have notarized documents from other Master electricians I work for. I also have a associate's degree in computer electronics and a diploma in electrical construction and maintenance based on NEC criteria.

Murphy79

I took the version that was not authorized, I did not require any authorization. However to get license in my state I did have to have notarized documents from other Master electricians I work for. I also have a associate's degree in computer electronics and a diploma in electrical construction and maintenance based on NEC criteria.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
I took the version that was not authorized, I did not require any authorization. However to get license in my state I did have to have notarized documents from other Master electricians I work for. I also have an associate's degree in computer electronics and a diploma in electrical construction and maintenance based on NEC criteria.
I obtained a Federal Communications Commission license / central electronics technicians license back when I was 20 but this did nothing for me in California. I’m now trying to get my 8,000 hours to take my journeyman’s license test

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
back in the day it was called SBCCI and i heard changed to ICC. I had the SBCCI when it was law of the land in Texas for alot of municipalities. I like keeping the certificate to show new prospects Ive been around a while other than that not sure who accepts it vs state licensing in Texas. The state was grandfathering sbcci license holders as Master electricians during transition. Im glad I took the master exam instead. Most states wont accept grandfather licenses only state

OldBroadcastTech

Occupation
Retired Broadcast Technician
"keeping the certificate to show new prospects Ive been around a while "

Kind of like I keep my original FCC Radiotelephone First Class on the wall.......issued May 1970. My only regret is not taking the Aircraft Radio and Ship Radar Endorsements at the same time.......

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
"keeping the certificate to show new prospects Ive been around a while "

Kind of like I keep my original FCC Radiotelephone First Class on the wall.......issued May 1970. My only regret is not taking the Aircraft Radio and Ship Radar Endorsements at the same time.......
I passed the fcc central electronics license years ago and never used it

Dr.Sparky

New User
Occupation
Electrician
I am planning on taking the G16 here in about a month. This is Binghamton NY's requirement for obtaining your masters (after holding a journeymans license for 2 years).
Do any of you guys have experience with the test? I purchased a study course through the "passtheiccexam.com" because of their guarantee to pass but am feeling a little disappointed with the study material, it seems too easy, hardly any calculations involved.
Any information on what to expect would be greatly appreciated!

ctcchar

New User
Occupation
Instructor
A little late here but hope this helps.

ICC National Standard Exams such as the ICC G16 exam are often used as a competency assessment in areas where licensing is regulated at the municipal (city/county) level. Using the standardized exam as an assessment is easier than keeping up with formulating exam questions and administering the exam themselves like some state boards do (this wouldn't be possible for a lot of smaller cities with fewer employee resources)

This isn't an exhaustive list, but here are some municipalities that accept or require G16 exam transcripts for license applicants:
  • Jefferson, MO
  • Goshen, IN
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Allentown, PA
  • Springfield, IL
  • St. Charles County, MO* - also offers other exam options
  • West Seneca, NY* - also offers other exam options
  • Sedgwick County, KS
  • Monroe County, IL
  • Bartholomew, IN
I've heard some localities in Colorado also accept it but I have only seen building exams (G11-G14) required in CO