Ice cube relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

CONDUIT

I have a relay with a 24 volt coil. Does anyone know if the coil is typically rated to be energized constantly. I know that there are ways to do what I want with electronics, but I am using what I have. I am making a local door alarm that is to be used as a deterrent from students going out a door that their only suppose to use in case of a emergency. There we be a buzzer that goes off when the door is open and only sound locally. So I have a set of contacts that are closed when the door is closed. When the door opens the contacts at the door will open. I was wondering if I could wire the coil of the relay so that it would be energized when the door is closed and deenergized when the door is opened. This is not for security! I am also using a universal timer also so the buzzer only goes off for so many seconds. Please respond only if you know or if you have a better way of accomplishing this with what I have. I know that I could use a set of door contacts that are just the opposite but if a wire was removed it wouldn"t alarm.

Thank You

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Unless the relay specifically says "for intermittent use only' it will work in your situation. In 16 years working at an electrical distributor I never sold a relay that was not rated for continuous use. Using a relay in the manner you described is not unusual at all.

dicklaxt

I concur with Jim but I did it for 44 years :) Those Ice Cube relays have and will continue to serve the industry .We used them in many applications of plant control and 3rd degree backup to Distributive Control System,both normal and emergency,,,very dependable.

dick

Status
Not open for further replies.