Ideal 1050 NM Romex Cable Top Hat Crimp Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yep they be a pain in the butt.
Cannot belive they are still available. I guess I should buy some to fool the inspector that something has been installed always. These along with a new 1970's roll of wire will do just the fine. :thumbsup:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
i think i have seen these before and if my memory serves me correctly they were pain to remove.

USMC1302

I was just asking some people if they ever saw those! My dad has those scattered throughout his house. Guess they were quick to install, but how would you ever remove them? He had some drywall damage so I was helping him patch, and took one out as a souvenir.

hurk27

many times if you get lucky they haven't been crimped all the way and I use my channel locks to squeeze them back open enough to slide the cable out of it, but also I have a small pair of steal cable cutters that do a nice job of splitting them back open if they have been crimped all the way, very common to find in track houses around here built in the "70's" and early "80's"

John120/240

Pardon my ignorance, what is the intended application for these top hats ? Today I would use

Arlingtion's black button or T & B 3201 connector for Romex (circle r ) enterering an panel.

USMC1302

Thanks Hurk. Our house was built in 1960, and seems to have a little of this and that thrown in. We have home movies(8MM) of my dad climbing the pole to hook-up the service(worked for NIPSCO back in those days).

hurk27

Pardon my ignorance, what is the intended application for these top hats ? Today I would use

Arlington's black button or T & B 3201 connector for Romex (circle r ) entering an panel.

Yes they were nothing more than what some would call a production type design to be able to terminate NM cable in box's and cabinets faster, I myself use the Arlington push in type and have been very satisfied with them, and at least they are easily removed, unlike these top hats.

Thanks Hurk. Our house was built in 1960, and seems to have a little of this and that thrown in. We have home movies(8MM) of my dad climbing the pole to hook-up the service(worked for NIPSCO back in those days).

I think NIPSCO even dabbled into wiring houses back in those days, along with selling appliances, I have run across a few houses with a QC tag from NIPSCO

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
So these are for connecting romex cables in boxes?

From the picture I thought they were like the T&B PT-70s crimp connectors. (http://www.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?part=PT70 ). Now those were a PIA to use.

Learn something everyday.

You think PT's are a pain to use? I sure don't. We only use them on the grounding conductors. They are quick and take up less space than a wire nut. I can get them back off with side cutters and the crimp tool. The side cutters make a partial cut and a score so when the crimper is used 'against the grain' the PT splits at the cutter score. Every once in a while, you don't need the crimper, but to be sure you don't cut a conductor, scoring is a better method.

The type (brand) of crimper you use can make all the difference in the world. Sta-kon is my favorite.

gndrod

PIA?

PIA?

So these are for connecting romex cables in boxes?

From the picture I thought they were like the T&B PT-70s crimp connectors. (http://www.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?part=PT70 ). Now those were a PIA to use.

Learn something everyday.

The Professional's T&B PT70 (Ideal & GB #410's) are superior to wire connector bonding with less product cost, box fill and ease of re-bonding an EGC for switch or receptacle. Adding another bonding conductor is easy by crimping another sleeve together onto the existing EGC.

Status
Not open for further replies.