Identified conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhalleron

I saw someone mention it in another thread. I always thought the identified conductor was the neutral or grounded conductor. Idenitified to me was the conductor with ridges, writing or white or gray color.

For some reason I always check with my meter if the marking is anything other than color. I don?t trust the ridges or writing. The last chandelier I hung had writing on the conductor that was connected to the center tab of the sockets.

I?m just curious how many people normally check polarity of a lamp socket? I always use my testor on receptacles, but don?t usually think about the lamp sockets.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I?m just curious how many people normally check polarity of a lamp socket?
I don't normally check the polarity of lampholders unless I'm troubleshooting the luminaire. Then it's part of my normal beginning diagnostic.

I agree that, all too often, the identified conductor is part of a mis-wire, especially in chandeliers that have been restored.

If the luminaire has a built-in receptacle outlet, I will always check the polarity of the receptacle when documenting the state of a Premises Wiring (System), but I don't routinely check the lampholder.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Idenitified to me was the conductor with ridges, writing or white or gray color.

The last chandelier I hung had writing on the conductor that was connected to the center tab of the sockets.
The writing is usually on the unidentified conductor, opposite the ribbing. Got any lamp cord or speaker wire handy?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In my experience almost all DIYer's have no clue about this so your odds are 50-50 that it will be wired incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.