IEC safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

ludilo

There are differences between the test and safety regulations on the IEC Standard and UL and NEC requirements?, why the IEC has differences in GFCI trip current and did not have special requirements for Hospital Grade?

c-h

Two questions:

1.) The different GFCI trip currents are:

UL: 5mA nominal, 6mA maximum
IEC: 30mA maximum

(Higher ratings, mainly for fire protection, are available under both standards too.)

The IEC normally requires 30mA protection, which is a full five times higher than the UL standard!

Does this mean that the UL standard provides a higher level of safety? Yes

Does it mean that it provides a much higher level of safety? Not necessarily

Before they settled on 30mA, the IEC did check what people died of. They found that the current had in most cases been above 30mA, enough to give the poor soul immediate heart problems. A 30mA GFCI for the whole loadcenter was thought to be the cheapest and simplest way to prevent most but not all electrocutions.

UL seem to have to have approached to problem from the other angle: How much current do you need to kill someone? About 10mA, if I have understood this correctly, is what is needed in a worst case. Half of that is 5mA. The catch is that you can't put such a sensitive device on the whole loadcenter as it will cause nuisance trips. Instead North America relies on GFCIs integrated into the receptacles or the branch circuit breakers.

As I understand it, load centers where all branch circuit breakers had an integrated 10mA GFCI would offer excellent protection against electrocution with minimal risk of nuisance trips.

2.) The risk of electrical problems killing you in the hospital is far less than the hospital staff giving you the wrong treatment.

The US has more lawyers than e.g. Europe or China. I think that could explain the "Hospital Grade" plugs and cords.

ludilo

You might be right, lawyers and lawsuits can explain, in part Hospital Grade equipements, and for the GFCI in safety I prefer to have in mind the worst case scenario and avoid the same lawsuit for having a 30ma GFCI installed! For my standpoint Safety First!

Status
Not open for further replies.