IEC vs NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMAO

Hi, I have a question regarding IEC; I am an engineer in a north American factory and we export our drives to Asia, Europe, America, Africa... I am pretty good at sizing cables based on NEC (just passed the PE); but since we deal with a lot of foreign countries I like to know more about IEC.
I would really be appreciated if someone can explain how IEC is related to NEC. But I would really like to know is: if I follow NEC rules regarding calculating ampacities, can my calculation be transferred to IEC? I know the question is a little vague; here is an example: if I calculate the ampacity of cables used for incoming power into and outgoing power out of a "VFD", can the calculated ampacity be used to size cable in IEC (mm) instead of wire gauge and CMIL which NEC's convention ?
Thanks,

bphgravity

While the standards development process is similar for both the IEC and the NFPA, there can be radical differences in philosophies and approaches to concepts and requirements between the two organizations. There is no simple comparison.

I am only familiar with a few of IEC?s lightning protection standards (IEC 62305). They are much more robust and comprehensive verses the NFPA 780, including engineering and mathematical concepts well beyond my education and understanding.

That being said, I don?t believe the IEC has any one electrical document that can be compared to the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.