If you use TeamViewer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Tom

... then read this:

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/company/press/statement-on-potential-teamviewer-hackers/

This is my circumstance:

I woke up this morning with someone controlling my desktop and significant account issues all across the board, with the most damage done to my PayPal account...

I've created support tickets where needed and have been changing all my passwords everywhere for the past few hours.

Do this for your Teamviewer.

Apparently there is a hook script or bug or something that allows a hacker to access your TeamViewer and access your PC remotely. Doing the below, especially whitelisting yourself and no one else should solve the issue. (unless of course they get your TeamViewer password)

In Options>Security
- Disable the Random Password
- Populate the Whitelist with your work computer ID. No one else will be able to login.
- Make sure your access password to remote in is at least 12-16 characters, includes numbers, upper and lowercase letters, and special characters, and is not comprised of any words that can be found in the dictionary.
- Do not "save" the login credentials in your Teamviewer account - manually enter the password every time you log in.
- Enable Two-Factor authentication.

I cannot say for sure if I was the cause, my kids on a laptop that I have TV installed on and part of this account or a breach at TeamViewer but I'm currently on the hook for a little over $1000 in paypal charges. And since they came from my account from my home IP address, it will make refuting them that much harder.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Apparently there is a hook script or bug or something that allows a hacker to access your TeamViewer and access your PC remotely. Doing the below, especially whitelisting yourself and no one else should solve the issue. (unless of course they get your TeamViewer password)

In Options>Security
- Disable the Random Password
- Populate the Whitelist with your work computer ID. No one else will be able to login.
- Make sure your access password to remote in is at least 12-16 characters, includes numbers, upper and lowercase letters, and special characters, and is not comprised of any words that can be found in the dictionary.
- Do not "save" the login credentials in your Teamviewer account - manually enter the password every time you log in.
- Enable Two-Factor authentication.

I cannot say for sure if I was the cause, my kids on a laptop that I have TV installed on and part of this account or a breach at TeamViewer but I'm currently on the hook for a little over $1000 in paypal charges. And since they came from my account from my home IP address, it will make refuting them that much harder.

the article seems to take the premise that teamviewer is secure, and that
people using the same password across multiple accounts allows breaches
to occur.

i've had teamviewer on both my laptops for about a year, they were used
for a couple days when configuring a customers router... so i just uninstalled them.

however, it might just be a good day to clean up sloppy passwords....
i've a truck ton of login's for various things, and maybe a bunch of
fresh passwords are in order, along with flushing google's cache of whatever
passwords they are helpfully storing for me.
thanks for the heads up.

for those who aren't aware of it, 1password is an excellent program, and puts
all your access passwords securely in one encrypted place.

however, it's the mothership, if someone guesses your password to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.