illegal application of the code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirenet29

I was told by foreman to cut 13 inches off an electrical panel before it was to be installed by other electricians.I mentioned to the foremen is this a violation of the electrical code and underwriters code.He replyed back I guess it is.The city of Chicago electrical inspectors saw it and allowed it wow.This was done at a noted University llibrary on the south side of Chicago.I would like some comments on this.Incidentally this was done to at least a dozens new electrical distribution panels.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
wirenet29 said:
I was told by foreman to cut 13 inches off an electrical panel . . . .
Which 13 inches? Top, bottom, left, right, front, or back? Any idea why?

wirenet29 said:
The city of Chicago electrical inspectors saw it and allowed it. . . .
Are you certain that they were aware that the panels had been altered from the original configuration? Sure, they passed the installation. But how can you know whethr they noticed the missing 13 inches?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The NEC does not require the use of listed cabinets. As long as you still had the required wire bending space inside the cabinet, I don't see an issue.
Don

iwire

Staff member
Cavie said:
read nec #90.7

I did and I do not see the relevance.

I not believe I have ever seen a UL listing on a panel tub.

The opening poster stated this was for a university library. That being the case I am sure we are not talking about a 'load center' but a panel board.

Panel boards come in separate pieces, the panel itself (the interior), the cover and the 'tub'.

You can order many different size tubs for the same interior.

It is quite possible that the wrong tubs where sent out and the quickest fix was to shorten them. As long as the cover fits properly I do not see a problem any more than I see a problem in punching KOs in these tubs.

All that said from what I here Chicago is pretty strict so if it is a problem it is sure to get a red tag. :smile:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was thinking the same as Bob and Don. Sounds similar to cutting a piece of trough to the proper size and installing the end plate. Many panel tubs have ends that are held on with screws. Back out the screws, make your cut and reinstall the end. My only concern would be how the interior trim and cover will fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.