Illuminated 3 Way Switch with 120 VAC LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyzee

I am considering using two 3 Way Illuminated OFF light switches to control a LED with a rating of 80-135VAC. I am uncertain, but it seems to me that I could be creating a problem for myself. Since the switch indicators are "on" when the switch is "off" will the load current from these indicators cause my LED load to operator incorrectly, Any advice would be appreciated

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If these switches function by allowing some current to 'leak' through to the load, then you may have a problem. If the switches require a neutral and power themselves from hot to neutral, then you should be fine. Lots of 'lighted off' switches work in the first fashion.

-Jon

billyzee

The switches without a doubt require some leak through current to operate their indicators. And this current will have to go through my load LED to get to the neutral. Do you know of any sure what, short of actual testing, to determine if it will work.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
billyzee said:
The switches without a doubt require some leak through current to operate their indicators. And this current will have to go through my load LED to get to the neutral. Do you know of any sure what, short of actual testing, to determine if it will work.

Hey the best way is to try one. There may not be enough leakage to cause a problem. Also you can try calling the LED manufacturer and ask their tech support.

raider1

Staff member
I have installed illuminated 3-way switches on some LED style stair lights. The illuminated switches funtioned by allowing current to "leak" through the load. This had the effect of making the LED lights glow even when the switches were off. I would not recommend installing LED's on a circuit that is controlled by illuminated switches that funtion without a seperate neutral connection.

Chris

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
You could figure it out if you know the amount of current that the switches 'leak' and the amount of current that the load requires, and how the LEDs are operated.

I can tell you from low voltage DC experience that the LEDs will visibly illuminate at currents well below their normal operating point. However without knowing the specifics of the LED bulb, we don't know what sort of LED drive circuitry there is, and if this 'leakage' current will reach the LEDs.

Of course, having the LEDs glow a bit with the switches off might be a feature, not a bug :)

-Jon

raider1

Staff member
Of course, having the LEDs glow a bit with the switches off might be a feature, not a bug

You could be right. :)

The LED lights I installed glowed more than a little bit though, you could hardly tell the difference when the switches were on or off.

Chris

billyzee

Thanks for all the input. I was fairly sure this was risky, but didn't want to poo-poo the customers wish until I got some other opinions. I even had the Leviton Tech rep tell me that this wasn't a bright idea. har har, thanks again for all the posts

Status
Not open for further replies.