ILLUMINATION LEVEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
wHAT IS THE LUX LEVEL AND CORRESPONDING TUBE LIGHT FITTINGS IN WATTS FOR oFFICE INTERIOR / EXTERIOR LIGHTING?hOW TO DESIGN? :eek:

bphgravity

This is not an NEC issue but a building code issue. This question can only be answered by reviewing the applicable sections of the building code such as the Energy Efficiency and Means of Egress for which the project is working under.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Please turn off the ALL CAPS feature. It makes the post more difficult to read. It is also considered impolite, as though you were SHOUTING at us.

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think I understand the question and I'll take a stab at an answer:

There is not a direct relationship between lux or candela levels and watts. Candela levels or foot candles are achieved by the lumen level of the lamps. A 400 watt incandescent lamp will not produce the same foot candle level as a 400 watt metal halide lamp.

You will need to determine the light source that is desired, then the levels you want to achieve. That will determine the wattage required.

Hope that helps a little.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Recommened illumination levels are set by the IESNA.
Typically in the back of a lighting mfg catalog you will recommended footcandle levels.
I would contact a lighting rep and have them assist you with the layout.
Also keep in mind that energy codes may dictate the allowed lamp type or the watts/sq ft.
Its a simple question but not a simple answer.
The NEC only is concerned with the wiring to the fixture, er luminare.

Status
Not open for further replies.