I'm a little confused on disconnect switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have a few machines (woodwork machines, sewing machines) that i need to provide power for. Those machines have a motors that range from 1hp to some cases up to 10hp motors. Some of those machines the smaller ones (1hp) require a typical 20 amp outlet to plug the cord into. Where are disconnect switches required? do i need disconnect switches for the small motors (1hp) that require an outlet? Since you can just disconnect the cord and work on the machines for repairs. All those motors come with a controller hooked up part of their system.

kwired

Electron manager
Most of what you have likely falls under art 422 Appliances. If not then art 430 likely applies.

Maybe read through art 422 part III and/or 430 part IX and then come back with any questions you may have.

LadyDi

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Master Electrician, BA Texas Tech University, College Instructor: Electrician Education
Step 1: Go to NEC Article 430

Step 2: Scan Figure 430.1 and locate the Motor disconnecting means section (Part IX)

Step 3: Scan IX (above Figure 430.1) and find the IX-page numbers (430-101 through 430 – 113)

Step 4: Go to Article 430.109 Type
  • Read the above-referenced Article.
  • Choose the type of disconnect that applies to each of your motors.
  • Install your disconnect preference within the listed boundaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.