I'm becoming a plumber!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

That's it, I've had it with the electrical trade. Too much argument about switched dining room receptacles, which way does the ground pin go and the like.

I allready know "Hot's on the left, cold's on the right, and poop runs down hill." I've got my torch and channelocks. I'm set and ready to go! If only the electrical trade were that easy! :D

Someday I'll be able to charge $2500 for a kitchen sink and faucet that takes an hour to install. And I can buy from suppliers that charge non-plumbers 3 times the trade price! Imagine that!

:D :D :D

brian john

Re: I'm becoming a plumber!!!

Please remember the grass is always greener. Being a plumber, carpenter or laborer all require special skills and a certain mentality TO DO A GOOD JOB.

The plumber that charged $2500.00 for the sink was at the supply house ***** -in to his buddies about the electrician that just came in reset a circuit breqaker and charged $125.00. Hey he wasn't not ripping the home owner off (I HOPE) but was making a living like you and me.

mc5w

I had to learn how to do plumbing in order to do electrical conduit work. I also one time met an electrician who had just completed a plumbing apprenticeship and was going in for a plumbing license exam the next week!

The electrical business around here is very slow because of the economy and because the the price of copper wire is DOUBLE what it was a year ago.

Very interestingly, the price of copper pipe did not get manipulated.

My girlfriends had to pay a plumber $150 per hour to straighten out a 4" underground pipe that her nubnut son-in-law had puked in. One problem was that he had buried the line before inspection so the plumber has to run a camera through the line for the inspector. He also had to pressure test because this son-in-law did not use solvent cement. For an 8 hour day she had to fork out $1200!

If downspouts are worth $150 per hour then we are worth $150 per hour.

In order to raise the money to get an Ohio electrical contractor's license I will probably have to start working for a plumber because they are the only ones who seem to be still working.

[ May 03, 2005, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: mc5w ]

BruceH

Copper pipe has went up quite a bit around here and that camera he used probably costs about 25 grand, they used to anyway. After completely plumbing my 2500 sq. ft house, supply, DWV, everything, I've gained a new respect for the trade. There really is a lot to know to plumb even a house correctly and to code.

james wuebker

Remember,as a plumber if there's a problem your going to clean up the mess like a water break. A dirty job and takes time. Being an electrican most problems are easy and cleanup isn't so bad compare with a water break or maybe a sewer break. If you enjoy wiring stick with it and live your life and have fun.
Bye now,
Jim

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by peter d:
Some of you are taking this way too seriously. Lighten up, it was a joke!! :D
We have to take it seriously how else can we run this thread out to 500+ posts?

Dad was a plumber and it's all true these guys are rolling in the dough. I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I attended the best schools and we ate caviar by the pound for snacks. :D

james wuebker

peter d
I know you were just joking but I wanted to see if you would come back with sometime else. It sounds like you really enjoy being an electrican after reading all you threads.
Bye now,
Jim

peter d

Originally posted by james wuebker:
peter d
I know you were just joking but I wanted to see if you would come back with sometime else. It sounds like you really enjoy being an electrican after reading all you threads.
Bye now,
Jim
Yup, I do. I wouldn't give this trade up for any other trade. :) Although I do like how the plumbing trade is more unified and looks out for itself far better.

aelectricalman

I charge $85 to reset a circuit breaker. First , on the phone, I ask the homeowner to walk over to the panel and first turn the breaker off and then back on, and they always say I already did that. Knowing that they probably just tried to turn it on from the trip position, I tell them I charge $85 per hour, are you sure that is what you did. They will say yes, there is something more wrong with the circuit. So, I proceed to the house where I turn the breaker off and then back on. 5 minutes of work, collect my $85 Wam bam thank you maam. Gas is expensive and I have to pay myself and my help. It sometimes seems unfair, but we have a skilled trade. :D

[ May 01, 2005, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: aelectricalman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.