Im looking at a Tempo/progressive 508 cable locator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultramegabob

I have been looking at these online, they can be found for 250.00 plus shipping, has anyone used one of these? any imput is appreciated.

Occupation
Inspector
ultramegabob said:
I have been looking at these online, they can be found for 250.00 plus shipping, has anyone used one of these? any imput is appreciated.

That was my first cable locator and it went up for sale on eBay. I did not have any success with mine, it could have been user error. I now use the Amprobe and I really like it.

lbwireman

My experience was the same as 'bob's. Unreliable performance. The gadget seemed to get easily confused by all sorts of things. I would not reccomend this tool. We now use a Ridgid Navitrak but those run about $1200.00 and can be used to locate just about any u/g utility you dare to name.

mdshunk

I have one of those. Got it maybe 10 years ago, and it still looks like brand new. Reason being, I didn't like it either. Go for the Amprobe AT-2005.

ultramegabob

mdshunk said:
I have a really old version of that same tool (from the 60's), and it works "okay". Definately not something I'd put much money into, but if you can get one for a steal, go for it.

how did you find it lacking? I dont do alot of underground locating, Im trying not to sink a thousand dollars into a tool that I may only use once or twice a year, or am I wishful thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.