Im stumped . New construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
I've been doing mostly service work and have tried to bid some new residential construction and renovation work. I spend so much time doing an estimate guesing what it cost to rough an outlet , switch, fan, new circuit, etc.

Either my prices are to high or contractors are the biggest thieves.

Can someone in NJ please provide some real numbers of costs per device. I trully need some help. And hoping people in the forum aren't scared to offer as they might feel they need to be secretive which is what I've found in this site previously. I thought we are all here to help each other and not just say things as a response avoiding the real questions.

Most Sincerely,
Staticcontrol

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You need to specify where you are in the state. Prices in Alpine and other parts of Bergen County are likely 3X that of the prices in some places in South Jersey.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You need to specify where you are in the state. Prices in Alpine and other parts of Bergen County are likely 3X that of the prices in some places in South Jersey.
I agree wholeheartedly! What I have difficulty understanding is that the cost of equipment is the same all across the state, but move from county to county and the prices change dramatically.

I try to educate the member contractors in my association to be competitive with their prices but that they shouldn't cut each other's throats. If the going price for say a 200A service (or upgrade) is $2800.00 (or something in that area) why would you bid $1600.00?

Anyway, to try and answer the OP's question, if you're operating in the world of bidding to GC's you should know that you're not allowed to make any $$$. They make all the $$$. So, it's going to the lowest bidder or his cousin's friend's brother's son. If you're lucky enough to bid directly to the HO you might stand a better chance.

I'm currently in Aruba enjoying a well needed vacation but if you can wait a week, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you an Excel file that I developed that might help you. However, as Infinity mentioned, you may have to adjust the unit prices depending on the area that you're in.

thank you Goldstar

thank you Goldstar

I agree wholeheartedly! What I have difficulty understanding is that the cost of equipment is the same all across the state, but move from county to county and the prices change dramatically.

I try to educate the member contractors in my association to be competitive with their prices but that they shouldn't cut each other's throats. If the going price for say a 200A service (or upgrade) is $2800.00 (or something in that area) why would you bid $1600.00?

Anyway, to try and answer the OP's question, if you're operating in the world of bidding to GC's you should know that you're not allowed to make any $$$. They make all the $$$. So, it's going to the lowest bidder or his cousin's friend's brother's son. If you're lucky enough to bid directly to the HO you might stand a better chance.

I'm currently in Aruba enjoying a well needed vacation but if you can wait a week, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you an Excel file that I developed that might help you. However, as Infinity mentioned, you may have to adjust the unit prices depending on the area that you're in.

Goldstar,
Enjoy your vacay! I'm well aware of what you said which is what brought me here with some frustration. I have bid on some small projects recently and have spent time and money to do so quickly for them. I'm estimating with very tight labor times and costs. So I scratch my head. I've been doing this a long time but mainly service work since it's hard to get any where. Electricians complain about the large price gap within the trade and here is a prime example for licensed electricians to offer some real help. I'm not the guy who underbids jobs to hurt others. I believe in having a standard. Hard to obtain without any real costs.

Thank you in advance for any help from anyone.

Sincerely,
staticcontrol

growler

if you're operating in the world of bidding to GC's you should know that you're not allowed to make any $$$. They make all the $$$.

There are GCs that don't bid shop every job and have regular subs that work with them on every job and these tend to be the best one's ( they are very hard to find).

The problem is if they are honest and willing to pay a decent rate they normally already have subs and don't need to shop every job.

Status
Not open for further replies.