Imbedded sub-panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

straps

While doing a kitchen remodel found all circuits were fed via conduit( Florida home circa 1950s) Has a exterior 150 amp service feeding inside via pvc into exterior junction boxes to inside the house. During the demo phase could not find the other end of the conduit so I shorted them out 1 wire at a time and disconnected the feed from the inside Sq D panel.But could not pull out the wire from the conduit so I was abandoning wires as I went along.
Finally got to a pipe that had 3 pair of wires decided I am gonna find the other end so I used my hi hat cutting hole saw to make some prelininary openings found 2 in pvc feeding sq d panel. Cut 2 more holes and oh goodness I discovered a buried cb panel housing.
this is where all the conduit was ending then fed via a 2 inch pvc to sq d panel inside.
Opened up wall now find the panel has no guts and is being used as a cross connection enclosure but it has no cover. ( Sorry but I want you guys to know the full story. This panel was totally covered by 5/8ths sheetrock.
I made a temp cover out of plywood to progress on with the remodel.

Now here is the 64 million dollar question. The feed for the sq d panel is in this enclosure along with many cross connections.(about 20 pairs)
Can I cover the box with a piece of metal cut to fit.I cannot remove the box as it was fired into the wall by explosive steel pins.
The enclosure has a ground tap that is being used by the existing powered circuits.
The enclosure is 10 inchs wide by 19 1/2 inchs
tall. It is a odd size.

Plan B is pop rivet some 1/4" aluminium angle to all 4 sides and then cut a piece of aluminium to fit and hide it behind a wall hanging picture.

Plan c Is rip out this mess go get a cheap brand cb enclosure gut it out and replace the box with a cb panel gutted out with a proper access cover.Keeping in mind this is attached to a concrete wall with pins. There is 1 each 2" pvc pipe, 1 each 1+1/2" steel pipe from the exterior panel. Plus 10 pieces of 1/2" and 3 or 4 3/4" steel conduits attached to the existing carcase.

Plan D Make a cover to fit from plywood 3/4" thick and leave the cover exposed behind a picture covering the ugliness.

Any legal ideas are totally entertained.
Guys this is a winner for sure nice young couple bought this mess 2 years ago. Great neighborhood 4 blocks from the Florida Beach.
Help
:cool:

hmspe

Occupation
PE
Re: Imbedded sub-panel

I'd ask the inspector what he thinks. Any cover would need to comply with 2005 NEC 314.41 and 341.40(a), and you'd have to verify fill. In this area some inspectors will accept the use of a gutted panel as a j-box, but some will reject it because a panel enclosure isn't listed as a junction box. If I needed a custom cover I'd go to a local electrical fab shop that is UL certified. I wouldn't accept a new, gutted panel with the cover that came with the new panel if I was inspecting the job. Depending on where the service disconnect is there may also be a problem having the feeder in the same j-box as branch circuit wiring.

Martin

allenwayne

Years ago especially in the 40`s,50`s and 60`s Things that were done on a daily basis are now cause to lose an EC license ;) In NYC I found countless wall sconces that had been tapped for receptacles and plastered over no cover just plaster ;) And I have an inspector that will fail a final because the painter took off a plate to touch up the area :confused:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

All NEMA 1 panelboard enclosures are UL listed as Cabinets and Cutout Boxes (UL guide CYIV) and are to be installed using NEC 312. UL lists the enclosure without any device (panel bussing) that may be installed in it. An electrical cabinet box is listed seperately from it's hinged cover. UL appears not to care if the actual use is as a "junction box". If the factory cover mounts to the box, and the breaker knockouts are effecively plugged, there is no valid reason an abandoned "breaker" box can not be used as a junction cabinet under 312 and 314

According to UL a junction box has a screw cover and a cabinet has a hinged cover. Bothe categories are tested under the ANSI/UL50 standard.

Also Art 314 part III gives construction details for field fabricated boxes and covers or the ability to use listed equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.