Immersion Detection Circuit Interrupter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Section 210.8

Revise and add text.

Change title to add IDCI and provide a new (A) Definition. A device designed to disconnect the electrical supply to an appliance at the power supply plug of the appliance when the appliance becomes immersed in water.

In the new (B) Dwelling Units. add IDCI requirement to (1), (3), (6), and (7). (2), (4), (5), and (8) remain only requiring gfci protection.

Add to end of paragraph, "Cord-and-plug hand held appliances manufactured or remanufactured on or after January 1, 2011, shall include a IDCI as an intergral part of the attachment plug located in the power supply cord within 300 mm (12 in.) of the attachment plug. Appliances not incorporating intergral IDCI protection shall be connected to a GFCI/IDCI protected outlet.

Substantiation: Why not? OSHA records indicate a large number of deaths due to appliances being immersed in water held in sinks and bathtubs. IDCI's will provide a greater depth of protection in congunction with current GFCI requirements.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Immersion Detection Circuit Interrupter

The protection installed as a part of a plug in appliance is not within the scope of the NEC. This type of protection should be left up to the product standards. Yes, I know that there are existing rules that require things for plug in appliances, but I don't think that they belong in the code.
Don

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I remember reading a story some years ago about one of the early pioneers on grounding things (now we would call it bonding).

As a demonstration of how effective grounding was at protecting people from electrical shock, supposedly he would put his daughter in a bathtub and then drop some kind of electrical device into the tub as well (I seem to recall it was a radio).

ryan_618

I don't care one way or the other (although I agree with Don). I do think that your substantiation needs some actual evidence, similiar to Mike Johnston's proposal that brought 210.8(B)(3) into the 2002 NEC.

Also, I think it might be better in article 422.

Status
Not open for further replies.