Imminent House Fire Service Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletis

Had a service call for power out. Basically, turns out they had a 14/3 with both hots on a 20 amp single pole breaker and tons of copper to aluminum connections all over with basic wire nuts. I fixed the problem correctly but as I was driving home thinking this house is bound to have a house fire at some point it was a nightmare built in 1905 with 87 electricians/handyman modifications. Almost everything I took apart..fell apart, boxes pulling out of walls, alum to copper everywhere, extension cords cut and going up wall etc.. My question is say when Ifire happens I'm guessing they start going after everyone that was there in particular the last one. I know my stuff is fine but has anyone had experience with this happening to them or heard of a case where they tried sueing you and won or lost? After it was all said and done I was thinking was this really worth $150 now it's tag I'm it I guess if a fire happens or am I being paranoid?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Had a service call for power out. Basically, turns out they had a 14/3 with both hots on a 20 amp single pole breaker and tons of copper to aluminum connections all over with basic wire nuts. I fixed the problem correctly but as I was driving home thinking this house is bound to have a house fire at some point it was a nightmare built in 1905 with 87 electricians/handyman modifications. Almost everything I took apart..fell apart, boxes pulling out of walls, alum to copper everywhere, extension cords cut and going up wall etc.. My question is say when Ifire happens I'm guessing they start going after everyone that was there in particular the last one. I know my stuff is fine but has anyone had experience with this happening to them or heard of a case where they tried sueing you and won or lost? After it was all said and done I was thinking was this really worth $150 now it's tag I'm it I guess if a fire happens or am I being paranoid?

Now would be a good time to read the fine print in your liability coverage.

growler

You are just being paranoid . But to be on the safe side always collect in cash and don't leave any business cards or receipts with the company name on them. Most people will forget about you in a week or two.

The thing is that most fires are small and don't do a lot of real damage. Most of those cracker box houses are not insured for that much and when there is a fire the insurance companies just pay for it with little investigation.

MAC702

I'm with the OP. Keep hearing those "horror stories" about the last guy to even be near it. But at what point is common sense allowed to poke its head in, too?

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
In a perfect world, one would observe a dangerous situation and speak up about it. The dangerous situation would be remediated, a catastrophe would be prevented and you'd get a pat on the back. In the real world, speaking up about a problem will cause it to become your fault. (even if you hadn't touched it) Look what happened to the guy who said, "Don't launch Space Shuttle in the cold; the o-rings can't perform their function and it will lead to a catastrophe.".

I understand the urge to prevent a catastrophe, but there's probably nothing you can do without having it come back to bite you. Whistleblowers should be praised & protected, but in our dysfunctional society, they're crushed.

New Book about Ethics and Whistleblowing for Engineers Affects Us All
https://nader.org/2018/12/06/new-book-about-ethics-and-whistleblowing-for-engineers-affects-us-all/

Last edited:

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you chose to take on such a job, (and I have refused similar jobs before), first make sure you have an active 1M/2M liability policy. Then, you must document with detailed contemporaneous notes and pictures exactly what you touched and what you did to it.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
I'm with the OP. Keep hearing those "horror stories" about the last guy to even be near it. But at what point is common sense allowed to poke its head in, too?

Yeah, if you even breath on it then you own it now. You would never be able to work in this industry if we didn’t use a little common sense sometimes. I agree with you.

ritelec

I find most existing stuff I work on seams "not right" or is straight out "NOT RIGHT" I do lose sleep over working on things for a few days after the encounter (like a hang over)..little panic attacks that subside, then every once in a while they jump back in my head. smh.

Gary11734

It sounds like you need to pull a permit and then call for an inspection. Maybe the county can save their lives when they condemn the place. I can't believe I just said that!

Gary

MAC702

It sounds like you need to pull a permit and then call for an inspection. Maybe the county can save their lives when they condemn the place. I can't believe I just said that!

County inspection department no doubt has a large amount of fine print about not being liable for missing something, written and defended by the government itself. You think they are going to protect you? Now, what you've really done is guarantee your name on it, though.

Gary11734

County inspection department no doubt has a large amount of fine print about not being liable for missing something, written and defended by the government itself. You think they are going to protect you? Now, what you've really done is guarantee your name on it, though.

My fingerprints are not on it because I would have walked away without touching the place once I saw the condition in question. But, now we know its a hazard. Who has the liability these days if the contractor didn't say anything even though he didn't touch it? You get in trouble for being a good Samaritan and get in trouble for not being a good Samaritan. I would go with caution and put it in the lap of the county and shift the liability away from me as far as possible. The county has deeper pockets, (your Taxes) when things go south...

I hate that this is the climate of today, but it is the reality which we live.

Gary

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I played hardball, once. We had gotten power back on after an ice storm but additional work was needed to finish plus the cluster of stuff that needed corrected. Tree and branches were still falling at the time. Elderly Owner refused anything more because it was working. Called the small town area insurance agent. A day later a phone call from the “problem customers” son got the ball rolling. We didn’t finish the job but at least someone did.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Document what you did, soon. Write yourself a memo and date it. It will say how you improved the situation and what you said to them about it. Save it with the pictures you took of your good work. Especially include any info about whether you advised them of any further work that might be necessary but which they refused because of cost. Also describe the scope of work they paid you for, and thus at least implicitly the items or areas you didn't look at because they weren't paying you for that. Don't mention anything bad you saw that you didn't tell them about, especially if it's your trade. Make sure it all puts you in the best light.

It won't necessarily save your ass, but it's likely to help a lot later if you already have your case ready when lawyers get involved.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
I know this isn't an insurance forum, but I'm curious.
What happens if a house you worked on burns down after you retire? Do you need to keep paying for an insurance policy after you're no longer bringing in revenue?

Gary11734

What happens if a house you worked on burns down after you retire? Do you need to keep paying for an insurance policy after you're no longer bringing in revenue?

Green and Fazio will always look for the deepest pockets. So, when you retire, hide your money!

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

Never hurts to keep a record of who your carrier was over the years. Somewhere back in the far reaches of my mind, I believe the suggestion was made to keep a copy of the policy. Year after year after year.

Status
Not open for further replies.