Imported Japanese Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcorbin

I've got a 30 year old power loom from Japan, set up as a display. It is designed for single phase 200V/60Hz. I've got 208V in the building. I have never yet specified a buck/boost transformer for anything. I'm just wondering if the expense is worth it to the owner on this. We'd probably lose a volt or two on the circuit (about 80' long). I just can't bring myself to assume old Japanese (or any country's antique equipment, for that matter) would have the +/- voltage tolerances to make it work without the transformer. Thoughts or similar experiences?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
bcorbin said:
I've got a 30 year old power loom from Japan, set up as a display. It is designed for single phase 200V/60Hz. I've got 208V in the building. I have never yet specified a buck/boost transformer for anything. I'm just wondering if the expense is worth it to the owner on this. We'd probably lose a volt or two on the circuit (about 80' long). I just can't bring myself to assume old Japanese (or any country's antique equipment, for that matter) would have the +/- voltage tolerances to make it work without the transformer. Thoughts or similar experiences?

I would use a buck-boost transformer. The NEC says we should address voltage systems based on the nominal (not actual or +/- tolerances) voltage.

But, what nameplate are you looking at, remember that motors (and other utilization equipment) are always rated slightly lower, 4.2%, than the nominal voltage of a supply, 115 vs 120V, 200 vs 208V, 230 vs 240V, 460 vs 480V, and 575 vs 600V.

bbaumer

I'd hook it up to your 208V.

Looking at a 4% over-voltage. That's practically nothing. Built in the '70's it probably has a better tolerance than if it were built more recently.

I've seen bigger swings than that numerous times as load varies in buildings.

bcorbin said:
I'd go with the x-fmr just to avoid problems, you could always use a auto-tranformer with voltage read out if you want to be flexible. In japan 200v is the nominal voltage phase-phase. They often only see 185v-195v at utilization.

Mr. Bill

I agree with bbaumer. Hook it up on the 208V system. The operating voltage of motors is usually slightly lower than the system voltage. They account for voltage drop to the equipment. How many motors do we see rated for 460V?

quogueelectric

bcorbin said:
How do you spot a real engineer that would be usefull around here??

mdshunk

The thing's not going to have a UL tag on it anyhow, so I'm not sure I'd even rent space in my head worrying about 8 volts either.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
chaterpilar said:
Bcorbin...

Your signature has tickled my curiosity....

How do you spot real "Engineers" ...please share your knowledge..

Cheers.

"Real" Engineer...

engineer-calgary-450.jpg

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
LarryFine said:
Is that Casey Jones?

No, the Casey Jones character (in the Cannonball Express movie) was played by Allan Hale, a.k.a. "The Skipper" from Gilligan's Island.

Nor is it one of the "Cannonball" (no Express) engineers from Petticoat Junction. They were Charlie and Flyod, here is their picture.
train_charley_floyd.jpg

I'm not a big train buff, but I like the Cannonball, it's on display in a town not too far from me (Jamestown, CA). It was also the same train used in the original Wild Wild West TV show.

Don't know who that Engineer is. He looks the part though, doesn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.