Imported Machinery

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe29369

Does the NEC code (or UL for that matter) apply to machinery and equipment that is imported and operated in the U.S. or only to equipment that is build in the U.S.?
The equipment in question is for industrial use, such as automation systems. I.e. it has motors and drives, PLC controls, VFDs, etc.

Does it make a difference whether it is permanently installed or mobile (meaning powered by generator)? How about if it is imported temporarliy (on a rental or lease basis)?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Re: Imported Machinery

The 2005 NEC 110.2 states:
Approval

The conductors and equipment required or permitted by this Code shall be acceptable only if approved.
And Article 100 defines "approved" as:
Approved.

Acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction.
I work in Minnesota where these rules apply.

cselectric

In my experience, the foreign equipment I have seen installed generally carried an ETL label. The inspectors in this area will generally consider that as "listed and labeled" by an approved testing laboratory.

[ September 24, 2005, 05:23 AM: Message edited by: cselectric ]

joe29369

But doesn't the NEC code only apply to installations and components that are part of a building (like wiring, HVAC, etc.)?
Or does the NEC apply also to production machinery inside a building?

In the state that I live in it is required that any & all electrical work is required to be permited & inspected. The inspectors in this area require that all equipment is required to be listed & labeld if the electrician hooks it up as per Art,110.3

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

First off there is virtually no industrial machinery that is listed by anyone. It is becoming quite common to see the control panel listed, but the machine as a whole normally is not due to the insane cost burden that would place on the manufacturer.

There are a few jurisdictions that have started to insist on UL listed control panels on such equipment. I am not sure why, but this cancer seems to be growing.

If this insanity is not stopped soon, everytime an electrician puts a relay inside a jbox, it will have to be inspected.

cselectric

I can't agree more Peterson. These things do tend to get out of hand. A good example of this headache (at least around here) is in automated conveyor / material handling systems. Being these are sometimes manufactured and sometimes field designed / assembled, I have met local inspectors that will pick them apart and look for listing of all electrical components (motors, relays, limit switches, drives, etc.)

It's a real pain when dealing with factory built equipment. Sure, it's not an injection molder or press brake, but it is industrial machinery all the same, and is therefore generally not listed. If it happens to be foreign equipment, the components may not be listed either. The last one I dealt with was a German built conveyor system for a packaging line. The inspector looked like a monkey as he climed around looking for listing marks on all of the components.

The whole thing struck me as absurd. Especially since this is equipment subject to 24/7 operation. It's only a matter of time until every electrical component on that line is replaced by the maintenance department. So all the inspector did was insure listed products on that day. In the long run, who knows.

charlie tuna

i once wired up a six color tape printing machine and the inspector required a state licensed engineer to sign a letter stating the machine would meet "listing requirements". it was not my problem, but the owner's. i forgot how much it cost him--but i do remember it was alot of money! on the final inspection i asked the inspector about it and he told me the primary thing that his juristriction was concerned was the safety standards of operating equipment like automatic shutoffs and proper interlocks normally found on rotating machinery.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Joe29369,

I don't think there is a blanket statement that can answer your questions. Instead, one has to look at the jurisdiction involved on each individual installation (that you are thinking of). Take one machinery or equipment, whether portable or fixed in place, then do the research and take into consideration all the AHJs and ordinances that are present for that one location. Messy, I know.

The link to Minnesota statute that I posted in my response above is about one third what the exceptions are. . . These statutes, as I have heard the story, came into existence as a direct outgrowth of overly restrictive interpretation of 110.2 and 110.3, and the individual and industry backlash at the legislative level.

With any luck, there will be ordinance or other "official" language that will at least inform your installations, and that you can reference and bandy about with AHJs and other officials.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

In Washington State we have a state rule that covers imported machinery that is not Listed.
Chinese wiring standards use green for a hot conductor....

Status
Not open for further replies.