Improper voltage

Sparky_ron

Occupation
Master Electrician
So I have a dilemma and I’m looking for direction. Today I went to a customers business and they were having voltage issues. There is a fusable 400a 3-phase main disconnect, followed by a buss gutter. Im getting 208-210 a to b, b to c, and a to c, on the line and load side of the fuses however, I’m only getting 108 V on A, 135V on B, and 110 V on C.(phase to ground and phase to neutral.) With the fuses removed, I get 120 V on each phase on the incoming power side so I know it’s not a transformer issue. I also checked continuity on all three fuses because I didn’t have my fluke with me, (they are dual element fuses) and all appeared to be good. I have not opened up the gutter yet. I plan on going back tomorrow with my meter. What else could be causing the voltage to go so wonky with the fuses installed? Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Sparky_ron

Occupation
Master Electrician
*PROBLEM SOLVED!
So I checked the fuses and all three were good. (Thank you Larry) Infinity, you were correct. The line side neutral was extremely corroded on the lug so I backed it out, cut the wire, re-stripped it and re-landed it in the parallel lug next to it, torqued it down, re-energized it, and the voltage went back to normal. I suspected the neutral also but couldn’t do anything about it until I could shut down the load. It’s always the damn neutral lol.
Love the forum!
Thank you for your input,
Ronnie
Bolt Electric - San Antonio

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
*PROBLEM SOLVED!
So I checked the fuses and all three were good. (Thank you Larry) Infinity, you were correct. The line side neutral was extremely corroded on the lug so I backed it out, cut the wire, re-stripped it and re-landed it in the parallel lug next to it, torqued it down, re-energized it, and the voltage went back to normal. I suspected the neutral also but couldn’t do anything about it until I could shut down the load. It’s always the damn neutral lol.
Love the forum!
Thank you for your input,
Ronnie
Bolt Electric - San Antonio
Glad to help. Your voltage readings were indicative of a bad neutral. Happy that you were able to locate and fix the problem.