In ground pool bonding issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevFisch

New User
Occupation
Analyst
Hello,

I am located in the Florida panhandle. Bought a house with a pool last year. Pool and home/shop were all built in 1988. The system appears to be bonded correctly.

But this is my problem. Whenever we use the fiberglass steps to get out we get a tingle. If we hold the handle there we get a tingle. In certain spots around the pool if you touch the bricks around the edge you get a tingle. And if you are in certain spots on the edge and stick your hand in the pool you get a tingle.

My FIL is an electrician. He has helped me use a meter to make observations.

When I turn off the power to the shop which has the pool pumps I still get 1-3v to the handle and water or when meter is in my hand and other end in pool.

I turned off all of the breakers to the house and I still get same reading.

He suggested wrapping the handle in copper wire and putting other end in pool. When I did that the readings to the handle went to 0v and it lowered the readings in the pool.

Also all of the readings around the pool are different. Near the steps/handle its 1-3v. Furthest away is .2-.5v.

So what should I do next? With all power to the house/pool/shop it’s still happening. I live in the country in a neighborhood. So the other houses are 100yds apart at least.

Would rather not bust up the concrete all around the pool.

Thanks for the help.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Pool bonding is a very serious thing. We can't help from here. I would contact an electrician experienced with pools. Also, I would stay out of the pool until you get this resolved. It doesn't have to be power from your house, it could be stray voltage from the utility.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.