In Slab Work

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
I’ll run a feeder for a sub panel in the slab, but I don’t usually run branch circuits in the slab, unless that will be the only way to get it there, like an island.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
If the job permitted PVC, I would run everything that I could in the slab.

Interested to hear why.

Seems the layout to make sure you hit every interior wall you need to, and then hope the framers don’t adjust something on the fly by as little as 1”, and just the sheer quantity of pipes for maybe 20-30 branch circuits, would make it not worthwhile.

Especially when you can just come out of a sub-panel and pull romex everywhere, after the framers and plumbers have messed up whatever they’re able too. 😲😂

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Interested to hear why.

Seems the layout to make sure you hit every interior wall you need to, and then hope the framers don’t adjust something on the fly by as little as 1”, and just the sheer quantity of pipes for maybe 20-30 branch circuits, would make it not worthwhile.

Especially when you can just come out of a sub-panel and pull romex everywhere, after the framers and plumbers have messed up whatever they’re able too. 😲😂
I never worked on a project where NM was permitted in my 40+ years, so never think of that option. My area does not permit cable wiring methods for other than dwelling units and only where there are no more than six dwelling units in a building.

Even with the layout time, the slab is more cost effective than overhead conduits in most cases...at least that has been my experience.

Galt

Occupation
master electrician and refrigeration service tech.
Pipes in slab sooner or later fill with water. Something to consider.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
A lot of resi houses around here have mono slaps. All circuits from panel go in slab and hit there home-rune location then nmb from there. Save a lot of time on ladder, and pulling and strapping home runs.