Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Spotted today, fortunately the commenters are calling it out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/electricians/comments/od9xpm
Why I think its wrong:

1. The ground (planet earth) is not capable of opening a breaker or fuse on a 120 or 230 volt circuit. The resistance of earth is to high.
  2. A main bonding jumper to the service neutral or system neutral allows high current to flow to promptly open a fuse or circuit breaker during a fault. Not earth.
  3. Electricity returns to the source, not the earth.
  4. Electricity takes all paths of resistance.
  5. touch voltage is still present on the metal frame of an appliance during fault even with a ground wire. Only the breaker opening or fuse blowing results in the voltage dropping to zero.

This is why I believe the terms "grounding" and "bonding" should be discarded altogether (misconception based origin) and replaced with Fault Loop Conduction and Automatic Disconnection of Supply.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Unfortunately this is a common misconception that I've even heard instructors recite. It's sad that we still have to hammer this into people's heads because it's fundamentally crucial for life safety. It's ridiculous, TBH.

I think the terms and the clear difference of the NEC's definition for bonding and grounding are adequate, just no one reads them. I don't think the NEC needs the addition of any more overly complicated technical jargon, however.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Unfortunately this is a common misconception that I've even heard instructors recite. It's sad that we still have to hammer this into people's heads because it's fundamentally crucial for life safety. It's ridiculous, TBH.

I think the terms and the clear difference of the NEC's definition for bonding and grounding are adequate, just no one reads them. I don't think the NEC needs the addition of any more overly complicated technical jargon, however.

IMO, the jargon is wrong- only making sense if one beleives the earth is opening a breaker. I tihnk this in part perpetuates the cycle.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As I see it, the EGC is there so a line-to-housing fault makes the system behave like a line-to-neutral fault would.

A connection to earth has nothing to do with this function.

DrSparks

Occupation
How about we call it the "secondary grounded conductor."

DrSparks

Occupation
Or how about just encapsulating the word ground in double quotes. So EGC would be equipment "ground" conductor.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Or how about just encapsulating the word ground in double quotes. So EGC would be equipment "ground" conductor.

The root of the word is still incorrect. Ground doesn't protect the user. The main bonding jumper does.

DrSparks

Occupation
Nah, its all right :)

I can be a bit of a rod at times though trying to prove a point.
No it's OK. You're totally right. The term ground is used incorrectly not just in building wiring but electrical engineering too. I don't know how many times I've seen the earth ground symbol represent what is actually a chassis connection on schematics.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
No it's OK. You're totally right. The term ground is used incorrectly not just in building wiring but electrical engineering too. I don't know how many times I've seen the earth ground symbol represent what is actually a chassis connection on schematics.

Agree and Agree.

I think the only way to set change in motion is to speak up. Seeds planted today sprout into trees tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.