Indoor transformer 75kVA, not single phase 2W or delta-delta 3W, can MCB qualify as OCP for the secondary side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Correct me if I'm wrong but the ability to lock out the primary side doesn't necessarily negate the benefit of a secondary OCPD outside the panelboard. The primary OCPD for a transformer may be sized as high as 2.5X of FLA to compensate for inrush, therefore the arc flash current as a multiple of rated current of the primary OCPD is likely to be much lower (and hence much higher clearing time) than that for a secondary side OCPD. I bring this up because there may be occasion to work live in the secondary panel.

Again, a circuit breaker is an acceptable means of overcurrent protection for the secondary side of a transformer.

When you start discussing the need to reduce arc flash, and working in live panels, or safety, it gets into a whole different line of things that can be done to help reduce the hazard.

By the OP's original question, (although all valid points have been brought up since), I don't think think his original question was anything other than if a breaker would qualify as a means of OCP for the secondary of the transformer in lieu of a fused disconnect.

Augie took care of that answer in post #3.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.