Industrial Static Grounding / Bonding related to Combustible Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drowe-safety

Occupation
Safety Consultant
I am working with companies with combustible dust. Most understand that there is an electrical ground in the wiring for pumps, motors, etc. Is there a Code or Standard related to grounding / bonding for static? Machine grounds and / or bonds. Also, how can a facility determine if the ground or bonding system is effective?

Thank you!!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is all really bonding. That prevents the static build up. Some documents say that any path of one million ohms or less will be sufficient to prevent the buildup of a static charge, but I believe that NfFPA 77, Recommended Practice on Static Electricity says you should have a maximum of 10 ohms of resistance between any of the parts.

One of the biggest issues has been the use of non-conductive flexible hoses to transport combustible dust.

Drowe-safety

Occupation
Safety Consultant
It is all really bonding. That prevents the static build up. Some documents say that any path of one million ohms or less will be sufficient to prevent the buildup of a static charge, but I believe that NfFPA 77, Recommended Practice on Static Electricity says you should have a maximum of 10 ohms of resistance between any of the parts.

One of the biggest issues has been the use of non-conductive flexible hoses to transport combustible dust.
Thank you!!

I agree with the comment on non-conductive flexible hoses.

NFPA 77 does mention 10 ohms several places. Can this be checked / verified with a standard voltage meter? or is special equipment needed to ensure that the grounding and bonding are actually effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.