Industrial Tank Heater Insert - Wire Sizing/Load Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdaigle5

New User
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have a caustic tank installation project that will require an insert Heater with power Requirements of 24KW - Roughly 28A FLA.

28 *1.25 = 35A. We would need a 35A breaker to be in line with the NEC requirements.

We only have a 45A breaker available. Would it be acceptable to use the 45A breaker to feed a disconnect fused at 35A to get the appropriate protection? I know this is normally something that is done when feeding AC equipment - wasn't sure if it was something that would find acceptable for a heater.

Thanks in advance.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
I have a caustic tank installation project that will require an insert Heater with power Requirements of 24KW - Roughly 28A FLA.

28 *1.25 = 35A. We would need a 35A breaker to be in line with the NEC requirements.

We only have a 45A breaker available. Would it be acceptable to use the 45A breaker to feed a disconnect fused at 35A to get the appropriate protection? I know this is normally something that is done when feeding AC equipment - wasn't sure if it was something that would find acceptable for a heater.

Thanks in advance.
IMO, yes. The fuses would protect the heater.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.