industry direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krim

ItsHot said:
With another new year around the corner I was curious to ask, Where do you see our industry heading? Such as "What major changes do you think we'll see"?

I think we're going to see more people looking into solar power for the home and hopefully the prices will come down as this technology improves.
I also hope that since the NEC is requiring safer practices in the home such as the tamper resistant receptacles,now mandatory in residential properties,that the cost of such items will decrease some too_Of course there is the supply & demand theory that will have a dramatic effect in this taking place in regards to the manufacturers' of said products.
Looking at the economy, it doesn't look as though there will be another huge new construction boom this year or a hike in the cost of living wages.
But that's just my view on matters and perhaps I'll be wrong once again.
Carl :)

This is a new NEC code cycle year for a lot of jurisdictions...
Also for local jurisdictions adopting their own codes with reference to the NEC.

Also, I think that due to the economy we will see many contractors tightening their belts.

Krim

The Next Governing Official

The Next Governing Official

Rewire said:
I think things will be fine until November and then it is a matter of who is in charge in Washington.

It's not looking too good right now for next year either than.
Carl :confused:

ItsHot

"for the people, by the people"

"for the people, by the people"

Rewire said:
I think things will be fine until November and then it is a matter of who is in charge in Washington.
I would hope the people (us) would remember that our government originally was "for the people, by the people"! I think they have forgotten that they work for us!

Krim

ItsHot said:
I would hope the people (us) would remember that our government originally was "for the people, by the people"! I think they have forgotten that they work for us!

Keyword being was , do you honestly believe we still have a final say to whom is put into the position by the government ?
Like they've always said " It's not what you know,so much as Who you know, and money speaks just as loud and clear in Washington as it does anywhere".
Carl

growler

ItsHot said:

That was the original concept and I think it lasted for about 2 years 1789 to 1791 and then Washington sent troops to put down the "whiskey boys" and the "Whiskey Rebellion". After that everyone knew who was in charge and who works for whom. :grin: :grin:

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Its amazing how many world leaders from other countries hold engineering and technical degrees. They are technically aware and literate. Here in the US we have a bunch of lawyers, and politicians who are experts at deception, and care nothing about anything except themselves.

Krim

mikeames said:
Its amazing how many world leaders from other countries hold engineering and technical degrees. They are technically aware and literate. Here in the US we have a bunch of lawyers, and politicians who are experts at deception, and care nothing about anything except themselves.

Oh how true .... Amen on that brother .
Carl :grin:

peter d

Economically speaking, this may be a tough year for a lot of people if things keep going the way they are.

As an industry, I think the biggest problem is that we have many electricians who just do what they do because they've been taught a certain way, and have no idea why. Many electricians are ignorant of the most basic principles.

kkwong

Not only are they ignorant of the basic priniples, but I've seen helpers and even some apprentices make serious errors in the make up of panels and even simple devices.

I think the next few months will tell the tale for the industry. I think some areas will see a small increase in commercial service work while others will not see anything but small residential work. I also see "handymen" doing work that should be ours but they will get it because of the price difference.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
The industry direction seems to be leaning towards foreign logic (zones for classificd spaces) and more cable vs pipe. Bothers that me that we are excepting following, rather than leading. If Sam adams knew what was going on today, he'd roll over in his grave, or better yet make us aware of his famous speech -

" If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands that which feed you. May your chain be set lightly upon you and posterity forget ye were our countrymen."

For whole speech go here...

khixxx

dereckbc said:
Warning keep on topic, and away from politcs.;)

To bad you need to speak of politics when dealing with an economy.

With the credit crunch I see some guys going out of business. Residential will get hit hard.

As the dollar weakens industrial will pick up some.

Watch for the Nuclear industry to take off.

ItsHot

back to topic

back to topic

Sorry George I did not mean for this to go this way in posting the question. But at the same time ,took the bait and helped steer it that way. So my original thoughts were about technology, raising our rates, continued education.labor, material cost, job security, demand for our work,etc.,etc. thanks!!

jrock0305

on my end industrial,food, manufacturing i see a lot going towards power quality and correction-its amazing best of luck to everyone in the new year

mdshunk

Two areas I see growth potential in are related to the aging infrastructure.
  • cable splicing
  • safety inspections

Two areas that I see growth potential in are related to the aging electrical workforce.
  • safety training
  • electrical education

Two areas that I see growth potential in are related to increasing energy prices.
  • solar installations
  • lighting automation and control

Two areas that I see growth potential in are are related to homeland security:
  • security cabling
  • government contracting, in general.

dereckbc

Staff member
Good post Marc. What I would like to add is stay on top of things, learn as much as you can with continuing education; stay educated as technology will leave you behind. :cool:

One real easy thing for some of you is LV and IT wiring. It requires a little more attention to detail, but with home automation, data, CATV, etc used in today's modern residential and commercial; it is a good selling point to have in your tool bag, rather than to leave it to Geek Squad to beat you out of a bid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.