industry standards for minimum Megger test acceptability

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently had an 84" diameter electromagnetic chuck (from a Blanchard rotary surface grinder) repaired with new coils wound and installed. As I understand, these are considered "random wound DC coils". The chuck tested 11.1 megohms when we received it after rebuild. Information I have received from various sources indicates that this is an extremely low insulation value for a "complete rebuild" . So, I am wondering if there are industry standards for a minimum acceptable Megger test value for a "total rebuild" of the chuck.

zog

Besides the duration of the test what was the temperature of the windings at the time of test? Is your value as read or temp corrected?

zog

From NETA/ANSI standard

The dielectric absorption ratio or polarization shall be compared to previously obtained results and should not be less than 1.0. The recommended minimum insulation resistance (IR 1 min) test results in megohms should be corrected to 40° C and read as follows:
1. IR 1 min = kV + 1 for most windings made before 1970, all field windings, and others not described in 2.2 and 2.3. (kV is the rated machine terminal-to-terminal voltage in rms kV)
2. IR 1 min = 100 megohms for most dc armature and ac windings built after 1970 (form-wound coils).
3. IR 1 min = 5 megohms for most machines and random-wound stator coils and form-wound coils rated below 1 kV.

Ingenieur

1000 v to gnd ~ 0.24 mA at 4.1 Mohm
I assume machine voltage is 480 so 277 to ground or 0.07'm
ok imo

a rebuild may not include a rewind
only a cleaning and baking

Quote for rebuild stated: removal of old coils and potting compound, winding of new coils, new potting compound, new bolts, contact ring included. Chuck will be tested before shipping.
So, am I to assume this rebuild does not meet the minimum industry standard?

Ingenieur

act R = k x 11.1

0.22 from chart or 1/2 for every 10 C drop
65 F = 18.33
40 - 18.33 = 21.67
k = 10/21.67 x 1/2 = 0.22 or 0.5^(21.67/10) = 0.22

act R = 0.22 x 11.1 = 2.47 Mohm
std is 5 Mohm

ref std IEEE Recommended Practice for Testing Insulation Resistance of Rotating Machinery, IEEE Standard 43-2000.

Last edited:

Ingenieur

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.