inexpensive open circuit tracer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom hanks

I searched, and found the thread on here about circuit seekers, but everyone mentioned on there was 500 dollars plus. I am not a contractor, but the shop I currently work for does not have a circuit seeker, and doesn't seem to be in a hurry to buy one. Lately, the type of work we're doing, it would be nice if I had one. I see all of these "breaker finders", which only work on energized circuits, on sale for 50 bucks or less. But I do need the ability to trace open circuits. Any suggestions?

nakulak

we have a few that go for around 400 to 600 bucks that work on energized or de-energized, but I'm not gonna give you names cause I'm not that happy with any of them. Depending on the number of splices, conduit bends, etc. and interference from (mostly lights) they either rock or are a complete waste of time.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I see all of these "breaker finders", which only work on energized circuits, on sale for 50 bucks or less.

i've yet to find one of those worth having, especially if its less than $50. but i've only tried a couple.

e57

Cheap open (dead - de-energized) circuit tracer - a phone toner. Pretty limited in depth, shilding via conduit or MC - but it will ring in near proximity to the wire you're looking for... ~$175 with a probe. Useful in a pinch.... Embarassing to be caught using....

08688.JPG

And you can use it for PHONES too..... :grin: Real handy on what it is intended for...

If you looking for a safe inexpensive electrical tracer.... Live or dead ~200. Not the most accurate - pretty low tech - but safe to use...
08678.JPG

Heres the low-down on it.

Spend a bit more - if you're gonna spend that much - why pay less. ~300.
at-1000m.jpg

Feeling rich?????
http://www.amprobe.com/cgi-bin/pdc/viewprod.cgi?pid=270&tid=1&type=elec

Anyway - I would suggest your shop invest in it's own tools. If they want to pay you to do it the old fashioned yet reliable way - Thats thier choice.

That method being - Stand back, use your imagination, and ask yourself - "where would I have run it to next" - Go there, check by ringing it out with a multi-meter - Pass/fail - repeat. Half the time with tracers you end up doing it anyway. And you learn a little along the way. Helps if you sketch a line diagram while you do it - gives you something to look at during lunch - because thats when you have the epiphiny, then walk back in and find it. :grin:

http://www.mygreenlee.com/products/upc/images/08678.JPG

brian john

I own a slew of electrical test equipment and if I have learned one thing it is, the old adage "YOU get what you pay for." is true, spend the big bucks, get the top rated model. Cheap is just that CHEAP

Status
Not open for further replies.