infra red faucets on emergency power

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick hart

Does anyone know if there is a requirement( or one pending for 2008) for these electronic infrared sensor faucets being supplied by emergency? I think it's a good idea for sure but, was wondering if a requirement was already somewhere.
Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: infra red faucets on emergency power

If the building had domestic water pumps would they be on emergency power too? I don't think that a faucet will work too well without water.

[ July 07, 2005, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: infinity ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Rick, I assume you are thinking hospital. I don't know of any thing saying they have to be, but I agree they should be.

Infection Control, (hand washing or what have you) will be a necessity in a power outage too

I wonder if there is some JCAHO requirement?

Roger

iwire

Staff member

I don't see hand washing and toilet flushing as a Article 700 life safety issue. I do not think Article 700 is concerned with hygiene violations.

If the NEC does go that route, sewer ejector pumps better be considered life safety ahead of the faucets. :)

[ July 07, 2005, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

rick hart

Yep, talking heath care here. Light, pumps, all the stuff to keep the doors open during a power outage except the little bottle neck at the faucet. Infection control, patient comfort and keeping the nurses and doctors tranquil are the issues.
I am not aware of a JCAHO or NFPA requirement from an engineering standpoint but, I can see one coming. No- not a Life Safety issue but I would consider water an essential system.
I'm just being lazy about chasing through all the codes and throwing this out to see if someone here has had this come up.
The things a fella picks up here is amazing.

ed downey

Rick,

I Know This Is Kind Of Off Of Your Subject But I Thought I Would Throw It Out There.

From My Perspective I Try To Steer Every Owner Away From The Electrical Operated Flush Valves Because I Have Had Problems With Transformers Burning Up, Locations To Hide J-Boxes, And In General J-Box Placement.

I Will Generally Recommend The Battery Operated Valves.

But Of Late We Have Three Projects That Are Using The New Eco-Drive Valves By TOTO. These Valves Have A Capacitor And I Believe A Little Wheel That As Water Flows It Recharges The Capacitor. The Pricing I Have Seen Are Only Showing About A $20 To $25 Increase Over A Battery Operated Flush Valve.
TOTO Eco Drive
-Ed

rick hart

Ed,
Thanks for your input; it wasn't off subject at all. Battery operated is an option. I'm just looking for the best way to go long term with these things.

tx2step

Rick -- it's not just faucets. It's infrared flush valves on urinals and toilets, too.

A few years back, there was a major ice storm in Oklahoma that took out thousands of poles. Normal power was out in some locations for weeks. Some of the hospitals had to flush the toilets and urinals with buckets of water. It got pretty nasty at times.

I've heard of similar stories at hospitals and other buildings (like airports, etc.) in Texas that must continue to operate during a power outage.

No one really appreciates the headaches that result when you can't wash your hands of flush the toilets -- until they get to actually enjoy the experience for themselves first hand.

I think that all of these valves should be on emergency power or be battery operated. Doing otherwise in just asking for a lot of unnecessary headaches.

sceepe

Great idea Rick. I am working on a high school that may be used as a hurricane shelter. After a storm, the only thing that works is the water. (Even if you may not be able to drink it). I have generator with extra transfer switch for cooler / freezer. I think I will put the lavatories on the same panel.

Thanks

Imagine, brand new high school designed to 140+ mph wind loads. Fill up the gym with residents and red cross folks. Power goes out, 10 seconds later lp generator starts up. Florescent gym lights come back on. everything is ok until someone realizes they can't flush or wash their hands cause the valves are on the wrong power panel. Who designed this.....

Status
Not open for further replies.