inspection of residential elect. panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

swest

This question is pointed towards jurisdictional building inspectors. What is your inspection proceedure for opening up electrial meter/sub panels. Is the inspector allowed to remove the dead front or do you require an electrician to open it at the final inspection when panel is live?

zog

This question is pointed towards jurisdictional building inspectors. What is your inspection proceedure for opening up electrial meter/sub panels. Is the inspector allowed to remove the dead front or do you require an electrician to open it at the final inspection when panel is live?

Either way the person needs to be wearing the proper PPE and be "Qualified" per the NFPA 70E definition to remove the panel cover.

construct

Similar to what 'barbeer' stated, I too feel a responsibility to verify compliance. That is part of what I was hired to do. On commercial inspections, the electrician is almost always around so it is easy to ask them to pull a panel cover. On residential, I will pull a cover if no one is around simply to prevent an extra trip. If your jurisdisdiction has adopted the ICCEC (International Code Council Electric Code), which are administrative provisions for the NEC, the second sentence of section 702.1.2 Concealed Work. says "It shall be the duty of the permit applicant to cause the work to remain accessible and exposed for inspection purposes." I personally prefer to try and work with the electrical contractors because if they get through the process easier, so do I. (didn't mean to get on a soap box)

cpal

, On commercial inspections, the electrician is almost always around so it is easy to ask them to pull a panel cover. On residential, I will pull a cover if no one is around (didn't mean to get on a soap box)

who is liable if the panel blows the EC to a cinder??

Do you initiate a live work permit??

Do you require PPE during testing to insure??

how much insurance to you carry?

In today's era of law suits, and liability I am surprised that any electrical inspector would even attemp to touch any portion of an electrical installation. Yet, we see that many do.
As an inspector, I would ask the contractor who called if the inspection involved any panels/disconnects, etc... If yes, I would require one of them or a trained company personnel to be there to open such panels. I would get some grief, not too much.

cpal

In today's era of law suits, and liability I am surprised that any electrical inspector would even attemp to touch any portion of an electrical installation. Yet, we see that many do.
As an inspector, I would ask the contractor who called if the inspection involved any panels/disconnects, etc... If yes, I would require one of them or a trained company personnel to be there to open such panels. I would get some grief, not too much.

My point exactly not only is there a personal risk but you expose the entity you work for.

KevinVost

Our AHJ has strict written administrative code against inspectors opening any type of equipment, for legal reasons.....

However, almost every inspector carries a few tools with them, although most would never admit it :roll:. I agree with Pierre's statement and I also request the contractor have a JW on site to access equipment during the inspection, luckily for us, our AHJ requires a QE/QI at every site during any inspection. (BTW, most of the time we are inspecting the product BEFORE it is energized:smile:, which makes everyone happy.)

construct

who is liable if the panel blows the EC to a cinder??

Do you initiate a live work permit??

Do you require PPE during testing to insure??

how much insurance to you carry?

All are quite valid questions. Our jurisdiction is small (3800 pop) and there is alot of the 'good ole boy' mentality still in play. We don't even require the person doing the work to be certified. This doesn't mean that it makes it okay to ignore legal ramifications. I don't pull covers on live panels. It is generally prior to service being heated. So if no one is around, I'll pull the cover to verify bonding and grounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.