Inspection question

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
Being a commercial electrician I’m not used to dealing with inspectors. I was given the OK by my township to do the electric for an above ground pool. I emailed the inspector to ask him what was involved for each inspection but he hasn’t responded. Basically I’m just looking for the stopping point for each inspection (I didn’t think that was too much to ask him). These are the 4:

Trench
Bonding
Electrical final
Building final

For the trench inspection can the conduit be run as well or is it literally just the trench? I would appreciate any insight you can give me. I’m fully confident in my work I just don’t know a) how to deal with a residential inspector b) how far I can go with the work until he needs to be called

thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For the trench the conduit should be in the trench. The depth measurements in T300.5 are to the top of the raceway so the inspector may want to measure to the top of the raceway. Since it's above ground what are you doing for the equipotential bonding? That and other bonding would likely need to be inspected before the area around the pool is finished. The rest is done at the final.

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
For the trench the conduit should be in the trench. The depth measurements in T300.5 are to the top of the raceway so the inspector may want to measure to the top of the raceway. Since it's above ground what are you doing for the equipotential bonding? That and other bonding would likely need to be inspected before the area around the pool is finished. The rest is done at the final.
I’ll start at the pump, hit 4 metal posts, skimmer for water bond, then end back at the pump. I submitted two drawings. One the bonding started at pump and ended at skimmer, and the other starter and ended at the pump. He approved the latter

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
For an above ground pool there's really no reason all inspections couldn't be completed at one time.
That‘s what I thought until I saw the 4 separate inspections. It’s that way for the deck being built as well.

Like what happens if I run the 8ga for the bond and leave the trench open? Would he tell me to remove it? Lol

John A

Occupation
Inspector
For A/G pools, yes it can be 'trench/PVC, grid, and Final' all in 1 shot. Most ECs have it all ready, some need a few inspections,
(not counting the Red Stickers).

If it can be done in 1 shot, all the better for everyone. I have a busy town, we are on 3300 permits for 2024 already.

FYI, not all inspectors agree with one and done.

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
For A/G pools, yes it can be 'trench/PVC, grid, and Final' all in 1 shot. Most ECs have it all ready, some need a few inspections,
(not counting the Red Stickers).

If it can be done in 1 shot, all the better for everyone. I have a busy town, we are on 3300 permits for 2024 already.

FYI, not all inspectors agree with one and done.
As long as I leave the trench open do you think I’d be ok having the conduit and bonding done?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As long as I leave the trench open do you think I’d be ok having the conduit and bonding done?
As long as all of the components that need to be inspected are still visible and everything is installed that needs to be installed then you could do one and done. If the pool guys buries some of your work then there may be an issue. As John stated not every inspector might like the one and done approach.

Joe Villani

For myself and other inspectors in the area we find the final grade around the pool is not completed until the very end.

We can't tell that the permitter bond wire is going to be 4 to 6 inches below the sub grade.

So typically a partial bonding will be done and at the final the permitter bond will be inspected.

So typically two inspections around here.

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
Call the inspector, I personally have no problem coordinating with contractors
I contacted the inspector and he got back to me saying I lied on the permit and need to hire a licensed electrician. My wife’s name is on all of the permits then I wrote my name under contractor and put the exemption reason as “homeowner“. Guy definitely has a bug up his arse already for some reason. My wife told the clerks her husband would be doing the electrical work. Great start

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
As long as all of the components that need to be inspected are still visible and everything is installed that needs to be installed then you could do one and done. If the pool guys buries some of your work then there may be an issue. As John stated not every inspector might like the one and done approach.
I won’t be starting anything until the pool is installed

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Do you have your name on the house ownership deed. They may need that to allow you to do this. Also some AHJ don't allow any home owner exemptions when it's not in the building envelope of the house. Something to look into. If you aren't used to pools too it might be worth using the pool contractors electrician since it's not your normal environment. Pools are a different animal and it can be annoying dealing with them. Also pool contractors pay squat compared to good Com jobs so keep that in mind. I know you can do it and learn it but remember your don't necessarily have to. I hate with a passion car electronics and guess what every friend of mine thinks I know them just because I'm an electrician. I hate the way cars work but there's guys who specialize in that stuff and don't mind using the frame for negative.

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
Do you have your name on the house ownership deed. They may need that to allow you to do this. Also some AHJ don't allow any home owner exemptions when it's not in the building envelope of the house. Something to look into. If you aren't used to pools too it might be worth using the pool contractors electrician since it's not your normal environment. Pools are a different animal and it can be annoying dealing with them. Also pool contractors pay squat compared to good Com jobs so keep that in mind. I know you can do it and learn it but remember your don't necessarily have to. I hate with a passion car electronics and guess what every friend of mine thinks I know them just because I'm an electrician. I hate the way cars work but there's guys who specialize in that stuff and don't mind using the frame for negative.
I like your username lol.

If I wasn't fully confident in the job, especially the bonding, I would hire someone that deals with pools all the time. After a good amount of research I'm very familiar with the conduit depth, bonding points, distance from pool to power post, etc.

I actually met up with the inspector this morning and my wife and her father are on the deed and that's where the confusion came from. I showed him that we're married and that I've lived there for 7+ years. He is now ok with me doing the work.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I like your username lol.

If I wasn't fully confident in the job, especially the bonding, I would hire someone that deals with pools all the time. After a good amount of research I'm very familiar with the conduit depth, bonding points, distance from pool to power post, etc.

I actually met up with the inspector this morning and my wife and her father are on the deed and that's where the confusion came from. I showed him that we're married and that I've lived there for 7+ years. He is now ok with me doing the work.
Glad it worked out, but don’t be too hard on the inspector. You signed as "homeowner" and you are not.
Your wife and her father are "homeowners" Apparently the house was bought before the two of you married.

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
Glad it worked out, but don’t be too hard on the inspector. You signed as "homeowner" and you are not.
Your wife and her father are "homeowners" Apparently the house was bought before the two of you married.
I wasn't hard on him at all. I'm at this man's mercy until he approves everything. Especially since I'm not "one of the boys"

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
For myself and other inspectors in the area we find the final grade around the pool is not completed until the very end.

We can't tell that the permitter bond wire is going to be 4 to 6 inches below the sub grade.

So typically a partial bonding will be done and at the final the permitter bond will be inspected.

So typically two inspections around here.
That was never the intended location of the bonding conductor, but they didn't fix it until the 2023 code. The 2023 says not more than 6" below the finished surface.

John A

Occupation
Inspector
Thank you Don!

My opinion was for A/G (above ground) pools. Usually, no issues determining grade.

As to the 'Homeowner performing Electrical Work', I can honestly say looking at/for a deed is unusual. The office staff verifies 'owner' at the time of submittal at the counter via ID, or Tax Records in computer. Who actually does the work is another story, for another day.

There is mention within the NJ UCC (5:23) as to who can do/assist 'Homeowner' Electrical & Plumbing work, AFAIK it's still in there.

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
That was never the intended location of the bonding conductor, but they didn't fix it until the 2023 code. The 2023 says not more than 6" below the finished surface.
Why is it no more than 6"? Why can't it be deeper?

Ex.
In a scenario where one side of the pool has 2ft of dirt on it. You would actually be going down to hit the pool support (usually near the boot) instead of up. So before that dirt was filled in why couldn't you run the bond, making it more than 6" deep, but you wouldn't have to re-dig if you know what I'm saying

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Why is it no more than 6"? Why can't it be deeper?

Ex.
In a scenario where one side of the pool has 2ft of dirt on it. You would actually be going down to hit the pool support (usually near the boot) instead of up. So before that dirt was filled in why couldn't you run the bond, making it more than 6" deep, but you wouldn't have to re-dig if you know what I'm saying
So that it is in close enough contact with the finished surface to energize the finished surface so that everything is at the same voltage.