inspection tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckman

a h o told me he pulled a permit for a kitchen upgrade and passed and the next day the the inspector showed up and said he did'nt realized his house was a ranch type and he would have to replaced the recessed lights he used. i am not sure what type he used i guess they were the type w o termal protection. it seems odd that he would come back the next day

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I haven't seen a recessed light w/o thermal protection is decades. My guess is that the ranch house had an attic above and the fixtures were not of the Air-seal/IC type that are covered with insulation from the attic. Using the regular old high hats that leave holes in the ceiling where air can pass though are not permitted.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds to me like the inspector left and then thought about the fixtures not being the proper type. I would guess he made a simple mistake on his initial inspection.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Pierre C Belarge said:
Trevor
I was thinking along the same idea.

Another thought here.
The inspector passed the job (not pasted it;) ) and then came back to flag it. I wonder what some of you think about that???

If the inspector realizes he missed something or made a mistake, he did the right thing by revisiting and red tagging it

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Unless there is a specific rule against using non insulated cans or non air tight cans, then I cannot see how the inspector can fail it. There are plenty of non IC rated cans around.

I haven't use them in years but they exist. My suppliers have them. If you don't insulate over them they are legal by NEC standards but possibly not by the building code rules for insulation and air infiltration.

Its possible the inspector checked with the building department and found it to be a violation there.

In our jurisdiction, the building department has asked electrical inspectors to red tag for the Energy Conservation Construction Code. This code requires that the "cans" installed between a conditioned space and an unconditioned space require and AirLock/Airtight or similarly rated fixture to be installed.

Yes, I also think that the inspector did the right thing...we all make mistakes.

barbeer

Yes-All of us make mistakes. Sometimes you catch something on a second inspection of a job that you missed on the first, advise of the correction to be made but don't penalize! Sometimes things get added or changed between inspections so it wasn't there at the first inspection.:roll:

mdshunk

I think that the lion's share of all the red tags that I've gotten over the last several years have come as a result of an originally passed inspection. The inspector either went home and read up, or phoned some of his peers, and came back and red-tagged something. That's okay with me, though. If the inspector even had to puzzle on it for a bit, I take no shame in having installed the non-compliant wiring in the first place. Just part of the process. If you're getting a red-tag days after the original inspection, don't take it personal. It must have been a tough issue.

Brady Electric

inspection tail

I think the inspector did the right thing by going back. There are still non-IC fixtures out there but I don't use them. I always use I.C. fixtures because you never know what will happen after you leave. Better to be safe than sorry. Semper Fi. Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.