Inspections Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I called for inspection on Temp Service, They said 10 days. In which it is schedule. How to I run a job if the rough and ceilings, Slabs inspections are all like this. ( and they are using 10 day Schedules). These are full timers too. Not a small twsp.

I know it is not legal. What are my options. Without pissing off town.

iwire

Staff member
I called for inspection on Temp Service, They said 10 days. In which it is schedule. How to I run a job if the rough and ceilings, Slabs inspections are all like this. ( and they are using 10 day Schedules). These are full timers too. Not a small twsp.

First I would find out if it is legal or not. I know you said you are sure but did you read it or assume it?

Once I nailed that down I would start notifying the inspection dept. in writing that you are ready for an inspection.

Where I am they get five working days to do it once notified in writing. If they don't show up we could proceed without them.

RICK NAPIER

Here you have to notify the inspection department at least 24 hours in advance then they have 3 days but if they are late you cannot proceed. You can complain to the state.

iwire

Staff member
Here it is for MA.

Rule 10. Electrical installations shall not be concealed or covered from view until inspected by the inspector of wires within and not more than 24 hours for exterior excavations nor more than 72 hours for interior installations after proper notice to the inspector, Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays excluded

Seems like 3 days here as well.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Seems like 3 days here as well.

inspector here told me three days, and if they can't service your job,
you can cover it up...

if i got to that point, i'd take a ton of photos for the inspector, but i take
photos of everything before i cover it anyway, so no real difference to me.

building departments, like everything else in the "new economy" are now
trying to do the same work they did in 2007, with half the people. that seems
to be about where it's at. my wife's department, is doing more work than they
did in 2007, and staff has been reduced from seven to three people.

my inspector in long beach is pretty much always under the gun, and when
i was calling for a lot of inspections, doing underground, a few times he
sent someone else, 'cause there wasn't enough of him to go around, and it
wasn't a particularly technical inspection... :lol:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
We went from 14 inspectors to six, and I am also the electrical plan checker so most day's I don't even get out of the office until after 10:00.

Here you call the business day before by 4:00 and we will be out the next day. We can usually give you about a two hour window, but some days are harder than others. One day I might have two or three inspections and then the next day 12. I do all of the solar installs and all of he commercial electrical.

We understand that you think your job is the most important job out there, but we're sorry to tell you that it's not.

Also you have guys calling for inspections and then calling asking if they can be the last stop of the day (meaning you're not ready for inspection) or asking what time we're going to be there and then telling us all the reasons that they can't make that (then why did you call and ask what time I was going to be there?) Or any other variable you can think of.

We're all supposed to work together so you have to understand that when I set up my day, I try to start at one end of the valley and drive to the other. Don't really have time to be back tracking. The guys that call during office hours get first priority by most inspectors, so when you call at 10:00 (we leave at 8:00, usually) don't get upset when the girls in the office can't give you a time.

OK that's it for my rant.

iwire

Staff member
We understand that you think your job is the most important job out there, but we're sorry to tell you that it's not.

OK, seeing as you are ranting. :cool:

My rant would be that government employees have no clue at all how important each one of all of our jobs. Those of us installing wiring make a living doing this and inspectors delaying jobs puts us off the bid list next time.

Your post above sounds like typical government perspective, getting it done tomorrow, next week. next month is as good as getting done today. Nothing matters as there is an endless stream of work for you to do. If there is a coupe week / month slow down you will still have a job where we may well be out of work for that time.

I am sure you will say 'plan ahead' sure I try but things change daily, walls relocated, things damaged by other trades etc. I would love to give you a schedule a month in advance but I am lucky if jobs have schedules for tomorrow. :D

Also you have guys calling for inspections and then calling asking if they can be the last stop of the day (meaning you're not ready for inspection) or asking what time we're going to be there and then telling us all the reasons that they can't make that (then why did you call and ask what time I was going to be there?) Or any other variable you can think of.

Imagine that, we want the common curtsey of knowing when you will be there.

Why do we schedule one and ask for the afternoon?

Because it is impossible to count on getting you out there in time if I don't.

We're all supposed to work together so you have to understand that when I set up my day, I try to start at one end of the valley and drive to the other. Don't really have time to be back tracking.

We are, but I really feel like most govt employees don't give a damn if I get my inspection today or next week.

On my end it can be a huge hit, for a contractor it can literally be money out of pocket and not due to lack of planing on that contractors part.

I understand you don't control how many inspectors are available, nor your work load but I would like you to at least sound like you have an urgency to get the inspection done. Other trades are waiting on you.

End of my rant. :)

growler

I ask questions. I go in with my hat in my hand and try to be as nice as possible and let them know that I am not familiar with their proceedure and would like information.

See what you can find out before throwing in the towel.

I have actually gotten a wall cover inspection before the walls were even framed by explaining my situation to the inspector. It was commercial, in conduit, and they had already seen 90% of the work and they are not really required to inspected every little thing just a significant amount of the work.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
OK, seeing as you are ranting. :cool:

My rant would be that government employees have no clue at all how important each one of all of our jobs. Those of us installing wiring make a living doing this and inspectors delaying jobs puts us off the bid list next time.

Your post above sounds like typical government perspective, getting it done tomorrow, next week. next month is as good as getting done today. Nothing matters as there is an endless stream of work for you to do. If there is a coupe week / month slow down you will still have a job where we may well be out of work for that time.

I am sure you will say 'plan ahead' sure I try but things change daily, walls relocated, things damaged by other trades etc. I would love to give you a schedule a month in advance but I am lucky if jobs have schedules for tomorrow. :D

Imagine that, we want the common curtsey of knowing when you will be there.

Why do we schedule one and ask for the afternoon?

Because it is impossible to count on getting you out there in time if I don't.

We are, but I really feel like most govt employees don't give a damn if I get my inspection today or next week.

On my end it can be a huge hit, for a contractor it can literally be money out of pocket and not due to lack of planing on that contractors part.

I understand you don't control how many inspectors are available, nor your work load but I would like you to at least sound like you have an urgency to get the inspection done. Other trades are waiting on you.

End of my rant. :)

Well since I've been in your shoes as I'm a licensed contractor (inactive), I completely understand. My only job is to come out and verify that you did it to code, sign the card or leave a correction notice. Sign it today or sign it next week. All of that is up to you. Trust me that it's much easier to sign the job card than to leave a notice.

I get contractors building buildings telling me how much money they are sinking into our economy and that the homeowners are not that important. Yet the homeowner might be spending every dime he could save up to do the room addition and he also lives here. Which one is more important? Not up to me to choose, I simply treat them both the same.

Just had someone call the city manager and complain that his plan check took 130 days. No his plan check might have taken 30 days (10 day turn around in our office) and that would mean that we had to send it back two times. HMMMM wonder who had it the other 100 days.

I also wouldn't be to quick to blame the "government" employees, many city's are using contract help now, which is usually out of work contractors or maybe out of work inspectors and I hear that many of them might work in several jurisdictions.

Come out here and do a job and you'll change your mind about inspectors. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since you're in NJ, Rick gave you the legal answer. Good luck complaining. I once waited 3 1/2 weeks for a rough in Mahwah during the summer when people were on vacation.

ceknight

Your post above sounds like typical government perspective, getting it done tomorrow, next week. next month is as good as getting done today.

I take it you missed this part of his post: "Here you call the business day before by 4:00 and we will be out the next day. We can usually give you about a two hour window, but some days are harder than others." ?

Methinks maybe you hair-triggered that one.

iwire

Staff member
I take it you missed this part of his post: "Here you call the business day before by 4:00 and we will be out the next day. We can usually give you about a two hour window, but some days are harder than others." ?

Methinks maybe you hair-triggered that one.

I don't get inspected by his department.:D

His rant seemed to be pretty general as was mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.