Inspector failed me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

Failed trench inspection for a PVC conduit we installed 12" below grade feeding pool equipment and is within 5 ft of pool wall. We are in 2014 NEC. Inspector is saying PVC conduit must meet table 680.10 which would mean it needs to be 18" deep. We used table 300.5 column 4. Is there any where in the code that would make our installation compliant? Or does it absolutely have to be 18" deep?

kwired

Electron manager
Is it under concrete slab at least 4" thick? If so I think it can be as little as 6" deep.

2017 doesn't have that table that I can see and tells you to use 300.5

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So under the 2014 NEC 680.10 applies because you're less than 5' from the edge of the pool and therefore you must use T680.10 which for PVC is a burial depth of 18". The 2017 NEC has different rules which allow you to use T300.5.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't know that 2" of concrete will be compliant. Looks like it would still need to be 18".
I see nothing in 2014 Table 680.10 that allows concrete (except under a 4" slab) to allow a lesser than 18" burial depth. Also could you have routed the raceway more than 5' from the inside wall of the pool? If so then the raceway cannot be within 5' of the inside under any circumstances. Looks like the inspector is correct on this one.
680.10 Underground Wiring Location. Underground wiring shall not be permitted under the pool or within the
area extending 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside wall of the pool unless this wiring is necessary to supply
pool equipment permitted by this article. Where space limitations prevent wiring from being routed a distance 1.5 m
(5 ft) or more from the pool, such wiring shall be permitted where installed in complete raceway systems of rigid metal
conduit, intermediate metal conduit, or a nonmetallic raceway system. All metal conduit shall be corrosion resistant
and suitable for the location. The minimum cover depth shall be as given in Table 680.10.

Status
Not open for further replies.