Inspector: four 12-2 cables require a two gang box

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Today, the inspector failed my 22.5 cu inch outlet box with four 12-2 NM cables, and made me change it to a 2 gang box. For decades, I had been doing this. He said 4 12-2 cables = 8 X .225, plus one .225 for the grounds plus two .225 for the duplex receptacle. = 24.7 cu inches. I guess I'm never too old to learn.
:(

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Today, the inspector failed my 22.5 cu inch outlet box with four 12-2 NM cables, and made me change it to a 2 gang box. For decades, I had been doing this. He said 4 12-2 cables = 8 X .225, plus one .225 for the grounds plus two .225 for the duplex receptacle. = 24.7 cu inches. I guess I'm never too old to learn.
:(
We never installed more than three 12-2nm cables in a 22.5 box. You can install four 14/2 nm cables

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We never installed more than three 12-2nm cables in a 22.5 box. You can install four 14/2 nm cables
I like to leave my conductors on the long side so for single gang plastic boxes I try to avoid getting anywhere near the code permitted fill. I don't like the idea of using a shoehorn and a hammer to get everything in the box.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I like to leave my conductors on the long side so for single gang plastic boxes I try to avoid getting anywhere near the code permitted fill. I don't like the idea of using a shoehorn and a hammer to get everything in the box.
I agree- we don't aim for 3- 12/2 cables but sometimes it makes things easier. Normally we have one cable in and one out.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Reminds me of a time may e 35 years ago, we had a project upgrading a laundry mat in a strip mall. Another company was adding taps in an exterior trough for a new retailer. We drove up one morning and the other EC's guys had their van backed up to the trough with a short 4x4 against the trough cover while they were installing the cover screws. One of them said "hope you guys don't have to get into this, it's full" We didn't and as far as I know it may still be the same today.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Reminds me of a time may e 35 years ago, we had a project upgrading a laundry mat in a strip mall. Another company was adding taps in an exterior trough for a new retailer. We drove up one morning and the other EC's guys had their van backed up to the trough with a short 4x4 against the trough cover while they were installing the cover screws. One of them said "hope you guys don't have to get into this, it's full" We didn't and as far as I know it may still be the same today.
What a disappointment. I thought you were going to say the screws went thru the wire and sparks flew. lol