Inspector is not happy

boptrop

Specifications said match existing, I'm not sure that this would be illegal but by the looks on the faces of those in the photo- I would say it wasn't the best of ideas. unnamed (1).jpg

Last edited:

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
is that 1" flex? How many bends in the run?
Either way to be 100% legal at minimum the flex needs a strap and verify a wire type equipment ground is pulled in.
I'd be more concerned about the floating EMT between the lights and the missing 4S cover.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I'm surprised no one has pointed out that the transition from flex to EMT needs to be made with a listed transition coupling, so it isn't code compliant.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
He is going to make me rip it down, should I have the boss fight it?
Based on what code section? As Strathead pointed out the EMT>Rigid Coupling>FMC Connector is a violation so if you replace those fittings with a listed transition it would be code complaint.

He is going to make me rip it down, should I have the boss fight it?
As has been said, if it's because of the non-listed transition fittings then technically yes the inspector is correct. But we don't know if that is what the inspector thinks the issue is and based on the op it doesn't seem like that's the issue. If it wasn't because of the transition fittings, yes you should absolutely fight it. Letting an inspector call out BS code is horrible for everyone.

garbo

I would say the union guys can bend it cause it takes them 6 hours to bend it.plus want a 600% raise cause they did it right.

I seen crappy union and crappy non union ignorant to say that man
In my area union guys did the best conduit bending & neat conduit runs most likely because vast majority of large jobs are done by union electricians. At the large hospital that I retired from they had an emergency power room feed from three 2,000 KW gen sets and 12 or 14 ATS'S that most were 800 amps some 1,200 amps. Every ATS had at least 3 normal power, 3 emergency power and three load conduits.They had racks of conduit at several angles to shoe horn it into the basement room with maybe only a 14' high ceiling. Heard the large union shop that did this best in class conduit run had one or two guys that only laid out pipe runs like that. Never got an answer why this rich hospital would use a 1,200 amp ATS when the load was under 250 amps.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
If you have to pull it down use a pull box sized to code so if it come up short you can at least splice there.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Plus your all taking about ugly. Maybe the customer is a cheap ass. Not every job is government we're money no question.
Do we know that the complaint did not originate with the customer on account of it being ugly?