Inspector qualifications & training

Status
Not open for further replies.

iblittljn

What is the process to become an electrical inspector? I guess it may differ by state.

Currently EITs and PEs have to have college degrees and be certified and licensed and have served X years doing engineer work.

I think electricians have a program (apprentice, journeyman, master) with training and experience requirements for each level. I think most states test and license electricians.

What are the requirements to be an electrical inspector? Are there required training and education courses to be taken, minimum experience requirements? Can a "wet behind the ears" high school grad be an inspector or is a college EE degree required? Are there any tests required?

volt101

Re: Inspector qualifications & training

It differs by city/town here in NH.
For my city certs are a plus although not required, Degree is also helpful, having a masters is a plus as well, having two feet and 20/20 vision is also highly recommended. Speling is alsow a reqwerment. Hucked on fonics werked fir me!

See 2005 NEC Annex G Administration and Enforcement 80.27 (if the town/city/state adopted that) if you want a real answer.

Jim

ryan_618

Here you need to be certified by IAEI or ICC. After that you may become licensed by the state, and are then able to perform inspections, once hired on at a city/county.

jwelectric

Roger has posted a great link for information about license and inspectors. In this inspections is found in part 153A is for counties and part 160A is for cities.

To sum this all up is a short sentence all that is required to be hired as an inspector in the state of North Carolina is a warm body that is capable of speech.
After being hired comes the certification. This is done by taking a course and passing a test at a community college then passing a test given by the Department of Insurance Office of the State Fire Marshall.

mvannevel

The State of Michigan requires that you have held a Journeyman's license for a minimum of 2 years, or be a Master. In either case, you will have had a minimum of 12,000 hours in the trade. You then must register with the State and if granted registration, must complete a minimum number of continuing education hours in a variety of disciplines including plan review, communication, technical, and specialty during every registration cycle. Otherwise you lose your registration and cannot be employed by a municipality as an inspector. Not necessarily a perfect system, but I doubt you'll find a state or municipality that has a perfect one.

[ August 18, 2005, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: mvannevel ]

bphgravity

Florida requires 5 years trade experience, however local jurisdictions have more stringent requirements. You must also pass the ICC residential and commercial electrical inspector exams, and the Florida Principles and Practices exam which is provided by Promissor. Other certifications may be required such as Plans Examiner or One-and-two family dwelling inspector certification.

For example, here is a copy of a current job posting in the county I live.

Minimum Education and Experience: High school diploma and at least five (5) years of experience in the installation and maintenance of electrical systems and appliances; or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience.

Licenses and/or Certificates: Possession and maintenance of a valid State of Florida driver?s license. Florida Electrical Inspector?s license, or ability to obtain within two (2) years of hire. Florida One & Two Family Dwelling Inspector?s license, or ability to obtain within two (2) years of hire. Certification for Mechanical Inspector as required by F.S. 468.601-468.633 and Chapter 61G19 Florida Administrative Code, or ability to obtain within two (2) years of hire.

Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of Florida Building Codes, National Electric Code and of building inspection principles and practices.
- Knowledge of County ordinances and technical codes.
- Knowledge of the methods and practices involved in the electrical trade concerning the construction, installation, and operation of a variety of electrical equipment and appliances, as well as standard electrical testing devices.
- Ability to detect and locate defective workmanship and operations at any stage of installation, and of stages of construction when possible defects and violations may most easily be observed and corrected, with the knowledge of the materials and methods to make such corrections.
- Ability to recognize faulty construction or hazardous conditions.
- Good understanding of building and mechanical methods and principles used in residential and commercial construction.
- Familiarity with building, plumbing, grade, roof, and insulation requirements.
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in interpreting and enforcing department codes, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to read and interpret building construction and electrical plans and specifications, plans and blueprints.
- Ability to ascertain priorities and meet deadlines and objectives.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of standard office computer equipment and software applications; ability to maintain accurate records and reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.

raider1

Staff member

I just recently got hired as a building inspector. The area I work in has combination inspectors, which means that we inspect all aspects of construction. When I was hired I had no certifications, but I hold a master electricians license. I had to take a residential and commercial electrical inspectors ICC test to receive my certification.

As Ryan Jackson stated, Utah requires ICC or IAEI certification to hold a inspectors license. Here there are two types of licenses a limited inspectors license, which allows a inspector to inspect in areas that he is certified. The other is a combination inspectors license, this means that you can inspect residential and commercial construction.

Chris

jeff43222

Minnesota has no separate license for inspectors. All that's required to be a state inspector is a journeyman or master electrician license and a $1000 bond.

Some cities have their own inspections departments instead of having the state do it. Their electrical inspectors must also have state journeyman or master licenses. My city also requires at least four years of licensed experience to apply for an inspector job. Last time I was downtown, the clerk told me that few people apply for inspector jobs when they have openings.

Status
Not open for further replies.