Inspector responsibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_618

In your state, do you use combination inspectors (building+electrical+mechanical+plumbing), or do your inspectors inspect only one trade?

Please tell me your thoughts on the pros and cons as well.

iwire

Staff member
Re: Inspector responsibilities

Ryan I will respond with this as I could not say it any better

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
Here in Mass we do not have multi purpose inspectors. If it's wiring it's the wiring inspector, plumbing, the plumbing inspector and so on. The electrical inspector does not enforce the building code. If a gc vents a fan and the electrical inspector does not like the way it is done, the building inspector can be notified. The electrical inspector has no jurisdictional authority over this.
The same applies in RI, I can not comment on the pros and cons as this is all I have ever known. :)

jimwalker

In florida we have some inspectors granfathered in that can do all.But new inspectors must qualify for each trade they inspect= master

binney

Inactive, Email Never Verified

Here in WI it depends on where u are. A good percentage are multi-purpose inspectors. The pros are it's a lot easier to pass inspections, the cons are some of these guys have no clue.

All too often the inspectors are asking me the code.

An example: I was on the job site a couple of weeks ago, remodel of a funeral home being converted into a vet clinic. One of our guys ran a 2"emt from an existing panel into our new panel with over 50 #12 THHN wires in it. The inspector asked me if we were over pipe fill, I answered no. Is it my job to tell him about derating? The matter has been brought to the attention of my superiors.

The municipalities who hire just an electrical inspector seem to a good job. When you have 1 inspector doing it all, it seems each one has there specialty and they wing the rest.
Let's be realistic the NEC is complicated enough. Look at all the issues we discuss in this forum, now your telling me 1 guys is so smart he can inspect everything. I like to make fun of plumbers but there code book is no joke.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by binney:
I like to make fun of plumbers but there code book is no joke.
You have that right, the plumbing code in this state makes our NEC look like TV guide. :eek:

luke warmwater

We really only need Home Inspectors. At least that's what it seems like.
Here, the building inspector does framing, close-in, plumbing, and machanical.
Electrical is done by an electrical inspection agency. In Delaware, there are around 5 to choose from.
Pro to this is that you can really get to know the inspector and vice-versa. An inspector can even get to know which guy from a company did the work.
Con to this is favortism. I know of situations where one inspection agency will not pass a certain type of installation and another one will.
And one inspector will fail a company for a violation, but overlook it for a larger or more favorite company.
They of course will not admit to this, but I know that it is going on.

jimwalker

They tried this in Naples FL. several years ago.They stoped it fast as it was a conflict of intrest.I would only use the blind inspector service if that was the case

inspector 102

I have been a combination inspector for 14 years and certainly do not claim to know any code cover to cover. I do question contractors on installation sometimes for my knowledge, some times to see if they can answer a code section correctly. I have valued this site for some time because of the wide range of opinions and knowledge that appears on some of the threads. Occasionly the humor too. I feel that a benefit of combination inspections is the abaility for a contractor to have numerous questions answered by one person at one time instead of hearing "thats the other inspectors problem". Smaller jurisdictions have problems having qualified inspectors because of budget issues and settled for some retired tradesman that works part-time. The liability that is opened up by poor inspection is a animal all itself. I have worked hard to obtain 7 national inspection certification which I maintain and also 5 national fire certifications. I have 19 years as a volunteer firefighter and currently serve as Asst. Chief. My wife tells me I have no life when she sees me reviewing code books at home on "my own time" but I really enjoy staying current.

brian john

We have a lot of jurisdictions in our area (9 locally 25 if you include Baltimore) Some use combo's for residential only, all commercial is single source inspectors. Having been involved in quite a few inspections after completion of the project ( to review projects or resolve problems), I amazed when contractors that are called to task for an improper installation say "WELL IT WAS INSPECTED". In our area the inspectors have a lot to do and in my opinion are overburdened. They try their best, but to expect them to catch everything is unrealistic in a 12 story building. To expect a combo inspector to inspect all trades is IMO foolish and only instituted for cost savings at the expense of safety.

I often think they best inspector would be the contractor that lost the bid. And if he/she made a bad call, they would face the contractor they are inspecting on another project. Of course this is not feasible but.........

I heard at one time (urban legend?) that one jurisdiction could not possible handle all the work they had to complete. What they did was hit 50% of the calls but with two or three inspectors and do a through inspection. You would never know when you might get a sticker dropped off or a through inspection.

I have no problem with inspectors when they know their job, there are a few (1 or 2 among 50-60) in our area that seem to make up stuff as they go along, for most contractors calling them to task can lead to more problems than it is worth, several times we have been hired to assist in educating the inspector, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not, the jurisdiction I’m talking about has no REAL appeal system.

Status
Not open for further replies.