Installation of Gutters or Pull boxes to framing of switchgear

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Smart unless if blocks the removal of an access panel that is required to be opened for testing or maintenance, etc.

I'm on an OSHPOD job and the IOR wants the gutter and strut individually supported. We don't have the room. And any mounting needs detail approval. Thanks for any help. Smart $ don't know why I haven't been on here sooner. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
We, as a utility, are members of EUSERC (Electric Utility Service Equipment Requirements Committee). We work with manufacturers all the time. One thing I found is that they are VERY picky about any modifications to their switchgear. They are tested as a unit and any mods may invalidate the test. Mostly a liability thing if down the line a problem occurs. Might be a good idea (especially for contractors) to get something in writing from them regarding mods before you set yourself up for a lawsuit. Maybe it's just because we utilities are usually a target, but why risk it? Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing.......lawyers have to make a living somehow!

norcal

I'm on an OSHPOD job and the IOR wants the gutter and strut individually supported. We don't have the room. And any mounting needs detail approval. Thanks for any help. Smart $ don't know why I haven't been on here sooner. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a FYI, IOR, is Inspector Of Record. OSHPOD, Office of Statewide Health Planning & Development, they have jurisdiction of all healthcare facilities in California.

norcal

We, as a utility, are members of EUSERC (Electric Utility Service Equipment Requirements Committee). We work with manufacturers all the time. One thing I found is that they are VERY picky about any modifications to their switchgear. They are tested as a unit and any mods may invalidate the test. Mostly a liability thing if down the line a problem occurs. Might be a good idea (especially for contractors) to get something in writing from them regarding mods before you set yourself up for a lawsuit. Maybe it's just because we utilities are usually a target, but why risk it? Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing.......lawyers have to make a living somehow!

If we did not have any lawyers, we would not need them. :happysad:

Status
Not open for further replies.