Installation to allow large amount of planned seismic movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekk

We are working on a project in CA where the structure is being built as two concrete foundations. The outer foundation in supported by the ground and the inner foundation is essentially a shell constructed inside the outer foundation and supported by isolators. The design spec allows for 2 feet of lateral movement in any direction (so 4' of total travel X and Y) and about 4" vertically. The electrical service is 800A, 3-phase. There is a concrete bunker or vault built into the space between the two foundations where all the utilities will enter. This space is to be used for each of the utilities to develop constructs to allow for movement.

Electrically, the base design is to utilize "loops" of Liquidtite conduit and probably a fine strand wire, such as DLO (dual listed as an NEC wire type). While Liquidtite is used for vibration, we are concerned about the large (3" or greater) size conduits moving over a 3' to 4' span back and forth, like what we would expect in a large earthquake. Also, if a major event happens, I don't believe anyone is going to want to go back into the "vault" to inspect the wiring with all the inevitable aftershocks.

My question is has anyone seen a commercial product that is designed for this application? I realize it is unusual, but will likely become more common over time. None of the deflection or similar fittings I've found can handle anywhere near this type of movement. The items we have found are designed for equipment manufacturers (not premises wiring). Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
could you use some type of rubber cord like what I see at ski areas attaching power to the lift drives.

skeshesh

We've used seismic/expansion fittings at two ends of a rigid conduit before, but I believe the maximum lateral was 8" or so, my approach would be to a)talk to manufacturers and see if they have something or if they custom build something like that. b)don't shoulder all the responsibility as the structural engineer should be contributing to this portion of the design. I hope the building is not a hospital or the like because I've seen OSHPD go pretty far with questioning the seismic integrity of systems out here, and that's with pretty commonplace installation - I'm sure they'd have a field day with something like this.

derekk

We can't have open cords on this project, we need some type of raceway.

This is actually a high-end residence, so we don't have to worry about OSHPD. However, liability is an issue for everyone. I just wanted to get some ideas from others and see if anyone else has designed or constructed anything similar in the past (we have not).

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
can't the cords be surrounded by some sort of bellows ? if not
use smaller more flexible race-ways in parallel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.